Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

error code 17

Solved!

error code 17

How to resolve your error code 17 on window 7, it been 2 and a half months and you still have not resolve this situation.

88 Replies

It is working, finally. Thanks!

reboot = turn off and boot up again

as in

turn off

turn on

Hi!

I have the same problem like others. After reload spotify, i can't open it. The computer with windows on it say its an error code 17.

What can i do?

I have tried the method of booting to safe mode and it just does not work.

First I booted to Safe with Networking, then ran the Spotify installer, which seemed to work - Spotify installed and loaded.

After the reboot I tried Spotify again - firstly with the Spotify.exe and when that produced the Eroor 17, I tried running the installer again, which also resulted in the error.

I then tried Safe mode (without Networking) and that also seemed to work, just as it had above. But, again, when it rebooted again, I still had the error 17.

I then removed Spotify from the PC, booted to Safe mode, ran the installer......same problem.

I have now removed Spotify from the PC completely as it has become somthing of a chocolater teapot. I can still access it from my Windows phone if I need to listen to something but that's not ideal.

I'm running XP (SP3) still and no, I'm not upgrading this PC anytime soon - so it's work on this version or nothing 🙂 <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script> <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script> <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script> <script>// if (typeof(lpcurruser) == 'undefined') lpcurruser = ''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt') && document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value != '') { lpcurruser = document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurruserelt').value = ''; } if (typeof(lpcurrpass) == 'undefined') lpcurrpass=''; if (document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt') && document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value != '') { lpcurrpass = document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value; document.getElementById('lpcurrpasselt').value = ''; } var lploc=1;var lponlyfill=null; if (lploc==3){ var lpdontsubmit=1; var _lpdoc=document; var _frm=_lpdoc.getElementById('js-login-form-email'); var _lu=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-username'); var _lp=_lpdoc.getElementById('login-password'); if (_frm && _lp && _lu) { if (_lu) _lu.value=lpcurruser; if (_lp) _lp.value=lpcurrpass; } if (!lponlyfill) { _lpdoc.getElementById('login-button-login-submit').click(); } } lpcurruser = ''; lpcurrpass = ''; // </script>

^Sorry about the last post - I have no idea where all that crap came from - all I did was edit my original post!!

I'm sure that a lot of new users come on here and have a rant. This is not a rant! I have wasted more than enough time on this but am willing to try anything new. If, however, I can't get it going, I can certainly live without Spotify.

OK, that's me done.

For the benefit of those who might follow me, it doesn't look encouraging. I removed Spotify with Revo Unistaller - an application I have used extensively for some years. Even with the full removal, I was left with all sorts of references to Spotify scattered through the Registry and it even left the dreaded Spotify Web Helper - which popped up into my Process Explorer after a reboot!. So, I have manually removed every single reference to Spotify from the Registry and rebooted. I tried a "clean" re-install of Spotify and got error 53!

So, after wasting some hours on trying to get this fixed I will move on to bigger and better things - like doing the garden. Spotify does still work on my phone and that's going to have to do. It's not like I need any music streaming app because I only ever used it to listen to albums I was unfamiliar with and not for my actual listening.

What has been particularly disappointing is the lack of Spotify admin assistance. It seems like there is an official stance and that's to follow the Safe boot method and if that doesn't work, there is no solution and no apparent desire to seek one. I assume there are Spotify application guys present on here and if they can't come up with a solution then who can?

Omdat spotify premium niet goed werkte heb ik het programma verwijderd van mijn laptop. Ik probeer het nu opnieuw te installeren maar krijg dan de foutcode 17, het programma kan niet worden opgestart. Wat kan ik doen. martin_h_bus@live.nl

Your the best thanks

After I insall it in safe mode I go back the the regular desk top and its wont let me open it..

It opened in safe mode

What worked for me was to right click the SpotifySetup file - click PROPERTIES - click  COMPATIBILITY - and check RUN THIS PROGRAM IN CAMPATIBILITY MODE FOR: and I chose Windows XP service Pack 3 - installed instantly after that. 

The simple safe mode install didn't work for me. I need to do the complex, cut it from the roaming file, move it to another file - every single day. Spotify support is nonexistent - the reply to my support email about error code 17 was "sorry the song you are looking for wasn't on Spotify." I've been a member for years - and am close to ending my membership. Amazon's music service is free with Prime, and JayZ's may be worth a trial - at least I don't have to "fix" the program every single day.

useing safe mode to fix this will work but its to much of a hassle especialy if your a paying customer i just uninstalled the Program and app from my phone and im canceling my service i dont really care for pandora but i used it for years and never had a problem like this honestly i really havent had a problem like this with any Program even linux OS has the same problem Spotify needs to fix there crap 

if anyone still has the proplome i have it fixed 🙂 open propertys go to compatabilty and click run windos xp servious pack 2or3 i dont know the difrences and run as adminasrtater after insatalling it should work fine. the browses wasnt working at the start but seams to be ok now im not really sour what i did to fix it i tryed to install over it again without it being in windoes servious pack and as admin but still got code 17 but now the browser and evething seams to be working ok hop this helps :))

Thanks finally this has worked. Did uninstall and tried old versions at Filehorse and still error 17. Shut down as resterted in safe mode networking and downloaded straight away. Cheers

no puedo descargar spotify me marcar error 17.

I use a 64-bit laptop. Unfortunately, error code 17 is extremely persisting! I had when still running Win7, updated to Win10 and it remained just as persistent. Again and again I followed all the suggested steps, like booting into safe mode, going to compatibility mode for XP(SP3), using installation files for older versions while uninstalling everything trace in between with Revo Uninstaller. However, it is absolutely hopeless. Nothing works. I will quit my subscription rightaway.

Marked as solution

I had exactly the same problem as you -and for 2 years was unable to gain access to Spotify due to error code17 -I made a final complaint then received an email from "Support @ Spotify.Com" --I was asked a number of questions in the email which I replied to and sent back to them- THEY THEN FIXED THE PROBLEM FROM THEIR END !!! - and I was finally able to use Spotify again {prior to this I had been using "Grooveshark" being one of the suitable alternatives to Spotify}

Hi,

The only, repeat the only reaction I had from Spotify about my communication was a feeback form dealing with how satisfied I was. Not so!

In addition, the account administration helped me to end our 2 accounts.

Hopeless!

I cannot believe that this is Spotify's actual resolution to their issue. It's clearly not an issue for only a select few people, and something needs to be done here. I don't pay $120 for this service to have it barely work. Please fix this issue!!

I am having the same issue. I am also using windows 8. Sometimes spotify works and sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes I can run it as system administrator and it will work but not always. I cant even uninstall the program because everytime I try to it says that I dont have sufficient access to uninstall spotify. Please contact your system administrator. Well damnit...I am the system administrator. There is no one else using this computer. I have read numerous forums on this and all the answers say start windows in safe mode. I shouldnt have to reboot my computer to get your program to work. Nor am I going to. It seems like there is a bug in your alls system that YOU all need to figure out. No one is having problems with windows, they are having problems with your alls software. Please address the issue, this is getting annoying. Especially since I am paying $10/month for something that doesnt work.

Suggested posts