I'm running Windows XP and I've recently uninstalled Spotify to get a clean install... Grabbed the latest downloader and tried to install and am getting an Error 18:
"The installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to write are in use by another process. Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry."
Well i've tried everything from rebooting, manually removing the spotify directory in C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Spotify and nothing seems to be working.
Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions? It's torture without the music!
Solved! Go to Solution.
Alright so I somewhat solved the problem...
1) I removed all traces of spotify (check your appdata directory to make sure it's gone)
2) Removed Comodo
4) installed Spotify successfully
5) install Comodo
6) tested Spotify and it still works fine
This is kind of a hassle just to get it working, but it works now...
I removed iTunes and reinstalled it, afterwards is reinstalled Spotify without a problem.
I hope i works for you as well!
**BEFORE READING, READ "IMPORTANT" BELOW**
I know you found a solution, but heres what I did and it worked for me: (btw I have a windows 8)
1. Go to "start"
2. Go to the apps (swipe to the right side of the start page, and click the down arrow at the bottom)
3. Search "msconfig" (without the quotation marks of course)
4. Click on "msconfig" when it shows up
5. Go to the "services" tab
6. Click "disable all"
7. Restart your computer (it will tell you to)
8. The internet won't be working and everything will be screwed up when you log back onto your computer. (this is normal)
9. Repeat steps 1-5 and click "enable all" instead of "disable all"
10. Restart again, and reinstall spotify
11. ENJOY LISTENING TO MUSIC!!!
Before I followed these steps, I did this:
1. Go to "settings"
2. Go to the control panel
3. Click programs
4. Click "uninstall a program"
5. Uninstall spotify
When looking through the things listed under the "services" tab in msconfig, make sure you have spotify UNCHECKED before you reinstall spotify!!
I just found another quick solution to this problem.
At first I could not open Spotify because this error code would constantly show up.. but then I tried deleting some files and I could not do that either. Whenever I tried deleting something, it would say "Invalid MS-DOS function". So I checked out a forum to fix that problem..and it ended up fixing my Spotify problem as well.
This is what I did:
1. Uninstall Spotify
2. Press Windows+R
3. Type and search "msconfig"
4. Click the "Boot" tab, and under "Boot Options" select "Safe boot"
5. Click "Apply", "OK", and then restart your computer.
6. Your computer should have restarted in Safe Mode. Just in case, try deleting a simple file on your desktop (this is what I did but is probably not necessary).
7. Repeat steps 2-4, but this time deselect "Safe boot", apply, press OK, and restart again.
8. Your computer should restart with everything working perfectly now.. Go to spotify.com, redownload Spotify and try installing.
Hope this helps!! Please click like if it does.
Have a blessed day :)
Don't listen to those people what you gotta do is simple:
1:Completely uninstall Spotify from your PC
2:Go to My coumputer
3:Go to the search bar and type "Spotify"
4:Delate ALL file that have Spotify in there name/description
5:Restart your PC
I recently had the same issue and none of the solutions were working. First, try the other solutions because some feedback says they work, but if they fail try this.
1. Go into the File Explorer app
2. In the File Explorer, on the left hand side there is a column, in the column click "This PC"
3. On the search bar that should come up in the app, search "Spotify"
(This process may take a minute, be patient)
4. Select all of the items that come up by checking an box to the left of the item that is only visable when scrolled over or already selected
5. Right click in the area of the selected item(s)
6. Click delete
7. It should move them to the recycling bin, if not and there is a pop up press "skip" in the pop up and go to the recycling bin.
8. Empty the recycling bin then reinstall Spotify!
This was the easiest solution I could come up with! I hope it helps, if not please contact me.
Trust me, do what i did. It happened to me twice the error code 18 and i solved it twice by doing this (Don't even do what some guys are posting here, about going to msconfig and weird things like that, i do it once and had to restore my PC).
-Go to Programs and Uninstall Spotify.
-Go to AppData/Roaming and delete the Spotify folder (If it says it can't be delete because "other programs are using it" restart the PC and you will be able to do it.
-Restart the PC if you didn't do it already .
-Download Spotify again and install it.
And that's all you have to do, i hope it work for you :)