Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

error code 18 - can't reinstall Spotify!

Solved!

error code 18 - can't reinstall Spotify!

I'm running Windows XP and I've recently uninstalled Spotify to get a clean install...  Grabbed the latest downloader and tried to install and am getting an Error 18:

"The installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to write are in use  by another process.  Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry."

Well i've tried everything from rebooting, manually removing the spotify directory in C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Spotify and nothing seems to be working.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions?  It's torture without the music!

111 Replies

Very helpful thank you. 🙂

What I did to re-install spotify on windows:

1. Right click on a blank space on the taskbar

2. Click Task Manager

3. Click Processes

4.Scroll down and find anything that named SPOTIFY and right click it

5. Click end task

be sure to end task any spotify related activities that it running and try re-installing the app and it should work

What is "Comodo"?

SAMEEE

whats the safe mode?

It won't let me delete the files saying it's still open in another program but I checked and nothing was using Spotify. What am I doing wrong?

BTW your solution destroyed my Windows, and I was so stupid to do your solution.  

And actually, I don't know how your article still here! 

Any admin should remove this because you were the reason why I went and bought a new Windows10 pro License! 

hey there.......can not uninstall Spotify, ....when trying to uninstall, it opens small window, saying that there is a problem with Spotify and the programme does no more react........how to uninstall now ?

tried it an it worked but i hate uninstalling things like spotify

I use Toastify to bind basic functions to keys that are accessible while gaming in Fullscreen mode. Unfortunately, the program interferes when updating and installing Spotify. Luckily, all you have to do it quit Toastify and then run updates/ download exe. 

Marked as solution

Didnt work for me ;-;

Yours was a simple but effective resolution...Spotify is back on my windows clear and loud...thanks for your help with this.

Suggested posts