Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[ 1.0.98][1.1.0] Crash when using ALSA

[ 1.0.98][1.1.0] Crash when using ALSA

Plan

Premium

Device

PC

Operating System

Linux

My Question or Issue

Seems like you broke alsa again. Client crashes when I press play. I can do control and play from client if I output on other device. No error message just "Segmentation fault"

13 Replies

1.1.0 same result:

output when choosing "play on this device":

19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:234 ] Creating track player for track (playback_id 015cd89e218201fe6cde2c5c4376eed4)
19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:235 ] track_uri: spotify:track:6jwsbxD1nvTc4UGLgRoCa6
19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:236 ] speed: 1.000000
19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:237 ] normalization: track
19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:238 ] stream_type: default
19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:239 ] urgency: now
19:46:17.793 I [audio_session.cpp:240 ] track_select_flag: 0
Segmentation fault

dmesg | tail :

Core Thread[9726]: segfault at 0 ip 0000000000000000 sp 00007fab197f1368 error 14 in spotify[1ff000+1000]
Code: Bad RIP value.

Is there any news on getting this fixed ?

It would be great if this is fixed, but could you please also set up your CI to test spotify without PulseAudio? It's not the first time ALSA support is broken 😞

Btw using "apulse spotify" works as a temporary workaround if you have apulse installed.

@nggngg

apulse emulation work for you ? What do you mean by "apulse spotify" just using the emulation ?

running gentoo here and not about to install Poettering OS on any of my kit.

Currently wondering why I even *PAY* for this service when they can't fix or test issues in dev.

I came this thread because I had a "Segmentation Fault" problem when trying to open the Spotify app and I've been trying everything. 

I've installed the app as a snap package. If there is anyone else that gets segfault when OPENNING the app, then this is what worked for me:

1. sudo snap remove spotify

2. which spotify -> if this doesn't say spotify not found, then continue

3. ls -la $(which spotify) -> remove the file; if it's a symbolic link, remove the link and the file it links to

4. sudo snap install spotify

Now you should have spotify starting again. To recap, this is NOT ALSA related, but this was the first link that popped up when you do a search for "spotify segmentation fault bad rip value" and maybe it can help others that have the problem that I had.

Having the same issue, running Gentoo and crashing when I hit play.

Can also confirm that running `apulse spotify` bypasses the issue.

Same thing here. I had the problem at some point, then on 1.0.96 it was fixed. Then the problem was reintroduced, so I reverted back to 1.0.96. Unfortunately it's no longer in Gentoo's repositories, since I upgraded to 1.1.0 only to find out it's still broken. And the older versions seem to not be available on Spotify's repos anymore. So yeah, no Spotify here at the moment. I guess I'll have to track down an old ebuild.

Edit: nevermind, 1.0.96 was removed by upstream, that's why the ebuild was deleted.

Whoah, I decided to install pulseaudio as a dummy ALSA bridge (i.e. no autospawning, no touching my system volume levels, quit after all clients have quit, etc.). After doing that and testing it works, suddenly I can now actually play with Spotify using ALSA directly again! I verified this with:

$ pacmd
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

And yet, Spotify is suddenly working.

@minigunpanther wrote:

Edit: nevermind, 1.0.96 was removed by upstream, that's why the ebuild was deleted.

As a heads-up for packagers: spotify packages on snapcraft are kept indefinitely (at least I haven't seen anything deleted yet). That avoids the issues with the deb files getting removed. Unpacking the snap file gives essentially the same package as the deb file (plus some additional files that can be ignored).

We use this to package spotify for nix: https://github.com/nixos/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/applications/audio/spotify/default.nix

Users can probably use the snap directly for now (although I'm not sure how that works with old versions) or install spotify using nix (https://nixos.org/nix/download.html) which should work on all linux distros.

I was having the same problem in 1.0.98.78.gb45d2a6b until today, but inoticed there were no issues when running spotify as the superuser. I solved the problem by deleting the directories spotify and spotifyd under ~/.config/,the next timei opened spotify there were no segfaults, it just ask me for my password again

Removing spotify directories from `~/.config` and `~/.cache` doesn't fix it for me.

Yes, I mean that if you install apulse (PulseAudio emulation for ALSA) and then run spotify by launching the command "apulse spotify" then it works ok. I updated to version 1.1.5, and that workaround still works (and it still doesn't work without it)

With 1.1.10, I am finally able to run spotify with local audio and without apulse or pulseaudio.

EDIT:  I was wrong.  It's using apulse via LD_LIBRARY_PATH... something Gentoo added to the /usr/bin/spotify script.

Suggested posts