Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d amd64 uncaught exception at startup - ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d amd64 uncaught exception at startup - ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Your device and operating system:
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION="22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)"
Chassis: desktop
Kernel: Linux 5.19.0-38-generic
Architecture: x86-64

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium):
Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using:
1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d amd64

Brief description of the issue:
[libprotobuf ERROR /var/lib/spotify/buildagent/teamcity/work/dci-wd/web-platform/client-web/desktop/shell/core/vendor/protobuf3/src/google/protobuf/wire_format_lite.cc:618] String field 'spotify.event_sender.proto.DroppedEvents.DroppedEventsBySequenceIdEntry.key' contains invalid UTF-8 data when parsing a protocol buffer. Use the 'bytes' type if you intend to send raw bytes.
libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::invalid_argument: stoul: no conversion
[1] 277400 IOT instruction (core dumped) spotify

Steps to reproduce the issue:
Open the app, it will crash

6. Attach the spotify-dump.txt ( $HOME/spotify-dump.txt ) from Advanced troubleshooting 4.

Done.

4 Replies

I'm using Arch, and am facing a very similar issue, did you find any fix yet?

Started happen to me today. Was working yesteraday. The same message, on the same OS and version

I was forced to install snap version of spotify to work around this issue

Experienced the same problem today, I could 'fix' it by (re)moving the cache:

```

$ spotify
[libprotobuf ERROR /var/lib/spotify/buildagent/teamcity/work/dci-wd/web-platform/client-web/desktop/shell/core/vendor/protobuf3/src/google/protobuf/wire_format_lite.cc:618] String field 'spotify.event_sender.proto.DroppedEvents.DroppedEventsBySequenceIdEntry.key' contains invalid UTF-8 data when parsing a protocol buffer. Use the 'bytes' type if you intend to send raw bytes.
libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::invalid_argument: stoul: no conversion
Aborted (core dumped)

$ mv ~/.cache/spotify/ ~/.cache/spotify.bak

$ spotify

# Spotify starts nicely again \o/

```

Am running:

spotify-client/stable,now 1:1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d amd64 [installed,auto-removable]

Suggested posts