Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Architecture Support

Architecture Support

Hi all. 

As far as I can tell, only x86 architecture is currently supported on linux. Are there any plans to support other architectures in the future? I'm sure ARM would be popular but I would also love to see support for powerpc.

8 Replies

@patrick00000 wrote:

Hi all. 

As far as I can tell, only x86 architecture is currently supported on linux. Are there any plans to support other architectures in the future? I'm sure ARM would be popular but I would also love to see support for powerpc.

I'm an old PowerPC Linux fan myself, but with even Debian dropping support for that architecture after Jessie, I wouldn't get my hopes up. There really isn't any desktop hardware produced on PPC anymore, so it doesn't really make sense to continue to develop desktop applications for it.

True, but it's not like they're dropping support for an aging architecture which would at least leave me with a fuctional application for a while. I never had support to begin with. I can't even get the browser player to function so I'm left with no options for spotify on powerpc machines. 

I do understand not wanting to invest resources into porting to powerpc but at least work on getting something for ARM which is arguably more popular than x86 when it comes to linux.

* It looks like the underlying Chromium Embedded Framework only produces x86 & amd64 builds - http://opensource.spotify.com/cefbuilds/index.html

* Unfortunately, Spotify currently only distributes as a statically-linked binary rather than allowing CEF to be dynamically-linked.

* Right now, I don't see any distributions trying to package CEF for other architectures although it is BSD-licensed.

unless some combination of those facts change, I don't see Spotify getting a release for an alternate architecture anytime soon.

Highly unlikely that the desktop client will be ported to something non-x86 any time soon. There is a small player library for various arm hardware already available, deployed in many Spotify Connect speakers and TVs etc. I remember that the intention in 2015 when libspotify was deprecated was to release that to everyone and not just hardware partners, but those plans seems to have been put on ice for now.

Anything that's available for ARM currently is premium only which is utter BS.

Hey Patrick, 

What is available for ARM? (Premium only)

Sorry, don't come over here often.
If I remember correctly the only one that worked decently was librespot and it's variations. I'm currently using vollibrespot in volumio.
Still **bleep** at the neglect towards ARM.

By the way, I randomly checked and it looks like CEF is being built for ARM now. So there's that...

Suggested posts