[BUG] Spotify Linux version on KDE

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: [BUG] Spotify Linux version on KDE

Roadie

update to 1.0.27.71.g0a26e3b2 changed to error message to:

09:42:22.697 I [mpris.cpp:304 ] Received MPRIS MediaPlayer2.Player 'Get' request, but no metadata is available

Highlighted

Gig Goer

Same here 😞

Supposedly the 1.0.27 version fixed several MPRIS2 issues, but it's not working for me either. I'm seeing the same error when I start Spotify from the command line (although I don't know if the error is related), and the sound applet in KDE still doesn't "see" Spotify when it's running.

21:49:16.235 I [mpris.cpp:304                   ] Received MPRIS MediaPlayer2.Player 'Get' request, but no metadata is available

mpris-remote also fails to detect Spotify as a MPRIS-compliant player:

$ mpris-remote identity                   
No MPRIS-compliant player found running.

I'm running Spotify version 1.0.27.71.g0a26e3b2-9:

$ apt-cache policy spotify-client
spotify-client:
  Installed: 1:1.0.27.71.g0a26e3b2-9
  Candidate: 1:1.0.27.71.g0a26e3b2-9
  Version table:
 *** 1:1.0.27.71.g0a26e3b2-9 0
        500 http://repository.spotify.com/ testing/non-free amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:1.0.25.127.g58007b4c-22 0
        500 http://repository.spotify.com/ stable/non-free amd64 Packages

But on several threads here in the forums other linux users are reporting that with this version MPRIS2 is working. I really don't understand.

Highlighted

Spotify
Spotify

I never checked mpris-remote or that the sound applet in KDE worked. I only verified with Unity in different versions of Ubuntu and a few plugins in Gnome. I can confirm that mpris-remote is not finding Spotify either, but it also can't find Rhythmbox. mpris-remote does find amarok though.

The error message that you are seeing:

Received MPRIS MediaPlayer2.Player 'Get' request, but no metadata is available.

is just because the sound applet does a Get request to get metadata on the current track directly when it finds the dbus connection before the client has started properly. You will see this error message in Unity where the media controls are working.

Highlighted

Roadie

I noticed that when I disabled the media control widget and didn't get the error when I started Spotify.

I can control spotify with my custom dbus shortcuts and Kdeconnect can control Spotify (pause playback when I get a call or remote control).

qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Play

qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Pause

But the Plasma Media Controls can't control.

I unloaded the Media Control widget and reloaded it and got the following error in my .xsession-errors

plasma.engine.mpris2: Found MPRIS2 service "org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify"
plasma.engine.mpris2: Haven't already seen "org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify"
plasma.engine.mpris2: "org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify" does not implement org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties correctly
plasma.engine.mpris2: Error message was "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidSignature" "Unexpected reply signature: got \"v\", expected \"a{sv}\""
plasma.engine.mpris2: Failed to find working MPRIS2 interface for "org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify"

I made further tests and this is what I found:

Plasma Media Control works with VLC and the first difference I found between VLC and Spotify Mpris2 dbus interface was following:

VLC:
qdbus --literal org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.GetAll org.mpris.MediaPlayer2
[Argument: a{sv} {"Identity" = [Variant(QString): "VLC media player"], "DesktopEntry" = [Variant(QString): "vlc"], "SupportedMimeTypes" = [Variant(QStringList): {"audio/mpeg", "audio/x-mpeg", "video/mpeg", "video/x-mpeg", "video/mpeg-system", "video/x-mpeg-system", "video/mp4", "audio/mp4", "video/x-msvideo", "video/quicktime", "application/ogg", "application/x-ogg", "video/x-ms-asf", "video/x-ms-asf-plugin", "application/x-mplayer2", "video/x-ms-wmv", "video/x-google-vlc-plugin", "audio/wav", "audio/x-wav", "audio/3gpp", "video/3gpp", "audio/3gpp2", "video/3gpp2", "video/divx", "video/flv", "video/x-flv", "video/x-matroska", "audio/x-matroska", "application/xspf+xml"}], "SupportedUriSchemes" = [Variant(QStringList): {"file", "http", "https", "rtsp", "realrtsp", "pnm", "ftp", "mtp", "smb", "mms", "mmsu", "mmst", "mmsh", "unsv", "itpc", "icyx", "rtmp", "rtp", "dccp", "dvd", "vcd", "vcdx"}], "HasTrackList" = [Variant(bool): false], "CanQuit" = [Variant(bool): true], "CanSetFullscreen" = [Variant(bool): false], "Fullscreen" = [Variant(bool): false], "CanRaise" = [Variant(bool): false]}]

Spotify:
qdbus --literal org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.GetAll org.mpris.MediaPlayer2
[Variant: [Argument: a{sv} {"CanQuit" = [Variant(bool): false], "CanRaise" = [Variant(bool): false], "DesktopEntry" = [Variant(QString): "spotify"], "HasTrackList" = [Variant(bool): false], "Identity" = [Variant(QString): "Spotify"], "SupportedMimeTypes" = [Variant(QStringList): {}], "SupportedUriSchemes" = [Variant(QStringList): {"spotify"}]}]]

VLC responses with [Argument: a{sv} {... and Spotify with [Variant: [Argument: a{sv} {...

Highlighted

Spotify
Spotify

@durin wrote:

VLC responses with [Argument: a{sv} {... and Spotify with [Variant: [Argument: a{sv} {...

Thanks. That is very likely the error.

I wonder why most other tools accept Variant for GetAll.

Highlighted

Roadie

I don't why others work but if I read the D-Bus specification correctly org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.GetAll is expected to return in the format of DICT<STRING,VARIANT> and not only V

https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#standard-interfaces-properties

Highlighted
Solution!

Spotify
Spotify

This should now be fixed in the testing channel with the release of 1.0.28.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Music Fan

It is fixed with the recent release 1.0.28! Thank you very much!

SUGGESTED POSTS