Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bad sound quality in Linux Mint 16

Bad sound quality in Linux Mint 16

Hi!

I'm using Spotify premium on my T500 Thinkpad under Linux mint 16 (XFCE) with pulseaudio. A lot of songs have very bad audio quality. I hear a LOT of noise, it is not bearable. When I listen to the same song on youtube the sound is normal. I googled this problem, but couldn't find any solution. Does anyone have suggestions?

5 Replies

I assume you have enabled high quality playback in preferences. How does other native audio apps work?
SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Thx for the answer!

Yes high quality playback is on and same-volume-level is off. Native audio apps work fine. Also I have the same problem with the Spotify Web player. So maybe it has nothing to do with my computer.

Here is an example:

https://play.spotify.com/track/1EiKmk4AwuNG2CmhQcCJ8k at 3:37 - 3:50

Same record on youtube: http://youtu.be/4TpXySrpFLA?t=3m37s

Do you hear the difference?

I can confirm the audio quality is different between 3:37 - 3:50.

I tested on the Mac App (With the Extreme Quality setting), iOS App (Again, with Extreme Quality) and the Web Player on Chrome, comparing to the YouTube recording several times. 

When I listen to the Spotify version and then to the Original YouTube version, it feels different. The YouTube recording sounds way more detailed compared to Spotify's one.

It may be hard to notice on the beginning but the reverb effect on this part of the song is more detailed on the YouTube recording.

Also, I'm not listening to a cached version of the song on Spotify because I never listened to that song, both on Mac and iOS, before.

I don't know if you guys need my current set up but here it is anyway:

Mac

MacBook Air 11" Summer 2013 (Haswell)

Intel Core i5 Haswell with 4GB of RAM

OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

Spotify version 0.9.10.14.g578d350b

Chrome 35.0.1916.153

iOS

iPhone 4S

iOS 7.1.1

Spotify Version 1.2.0.3344

Thx for listening!

So its probably not my computer. It seems that the music file is just of bad quality. Do you know if this can be reported?

If you think it is an error in the content, you can report it directly to the Spotify content team using the instructions outlined in this topic. Once you have submitted a query, the content team will investigate and then pass any needed details over to the record label to request a correction/change if needed (so it can take some time unfortunately!). 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts