Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Bug] Linux hosts running Spotify can't see each-other if their Homedir path's are the same.

[Bug] Linux hosts running Spotify can't see each-other if their Homedir path's are the same.

Plan: Premium
Version: Spotify version 1.1.10.546.ge08ef575, (And many prior)

The Issue:

If two Linux computers are running Spotify and happen to have the same `/home/username` path, the two Spotify instances are unable to see each-other for Spotify Connect usage.

Packet capturing reveals that both devices can see each-other's Spotify mDNS broadcast packets.. yet they do not appear in each-others Spotify Connect list while running out of identically named user home directories on each machine.

Workaround 1 - Give Spotify a temporary directory:

Executing Spotify in your terminal with this example:
`HOME=/tmp/spotify spotify &`

Then logging into the newly opened client instantly reveals the other machine, confirming this issue.

Workaround 2 - Permanently alter the home directory for your user on ONE of the machines:

Permanently modifying my `/etc/passwd` and changing my home directory from `/home/ipaqmaster` to `/home/ipaqmaster1` on my Laptop, remembering to also rename the directory to match is also a valid (more permanent) workaround for this issue, at the cost of having to modify my directory structure.

------------

I've seen MANY threads regarding this issue with all but one ending unresolved. Some of the threads even date back to 2014. I would like this to be accepted as an Ongoing Issue for a resolution to this bug.

1 Reply

I, too,  would like this to be resolved, as I also am waiting for this feature for a long time,

Suggested posts