Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bug report - Spotify crashes when pressing Ctrl+V in it with a spotify URL in clipboard

Bug report - Spotify crashes when pressing Ctrl+V in it with a spotify URL in clipboard

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

PC - AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 32G RAM

Version

Spotify version 1.1.10.546.ge08ef575, Copyright (c) 2019, Spotify Ltd

Operating System

Arch Linux, 5.6.8-arch1-1

Observed behavior

Spotify crashes when pressing ctrl+V with a spotify URL in the clipboard.

The crash does not produce any log information on stdout nor stderr. I don't know if spotify keeps logs anywhere. The signal raised is SIGABRT so I suspect it is an internal watchdog in spotify that calls abort().

Expected behavior

First of all, to not crash. But other than that I would expect either the song to be added to the playlist or nothing at all.

2 Replies

For what it's worth, I don't experience this. Also on Arch with xfce.

I experience it too. To be fair I was really confused for a bit because I've never witnessed such a clean immediate "crash" by just hitting ctrl + V... 😮

Specs
Laptop, 4GB ram, feeble intel i3 quad core

Spotify: 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b installed as snap

What I have found:

The keyboard shortcut does not seem to crash the app when I open Spotify and haven't started music playback yet. It does not work reliably, but the app won't crash.
Most of the time I would have to try and paste the track(s) twice, then it will trigger the "duplicate notification" and I would actually see the tracks added... twice.

However, if I then let Spotify play something random and then, after a few tracks, I try to paste a track somewhere in a playlist, it just clean kills itself. fastest crash in the west.

It was present in both apt and snap. I haven't found a way to get rid of this, but as a workaround I will queue the tracks and then drag&drop them from Now Playing to where I want them to go.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts