Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

DBUS No Longer working

DBUS No Longer working

Version: 1:1.0.64.407.g9bd02c2d-26

Updated spotify yesterday but was sad to see that when trying to change music from the console I'm greeted by an error:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify was not provided by any .service files

Additionally, when spotify starts up, the following is printed:

(spotify:31655): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_send_message: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

Thanks so much for the work on the linux client!

7 Replies

I can confirm it also stopped working for me (i'm on ubuntu 14.04)

Ironically, I've just been going around telling anyone I can, how nice it is that spotify provides this functionality in their linux client...

Hope you can fix this soon.

thanks!

Afaik mine is working again (on Ubuntu 16.04) update your stuff 🙂

Not working for me. Getting the same error messages.

Client version 1.0.70.399.g5ffabd56 on Void Linux.

also experiencing the same dbus message 😕

Running 1.0.72 on Void gives me the same errors. After messing about for a while, it seems to be a DBus-related issue, on my system at least.

Try:

pkill dbus

dbus-launch --exit-with-session spotify

This seems to fix the errors, and allows spotify to be controlled by sp and therefore DBus. It seems a bit fragile though, so you may have to restart spotify like this a couple of times until it works.

ewnh: Great find, thank you! This is working.

Now, where does the problem actually stem from? Is it dbus, spotify, or both? I don't have any issues with dbus on my system other than with spotify...

Not working for me either on 1.0.72. And the workaround also isn't working. This while for example the Clementine dbus.mplayer2 interface does work.

Hope the bugs can be ironed out.

This is on Ubuntu 16.04, btw.

Suggested posts