Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Easy way to install on Linux needed

Easy way to install on Linux needed

Hi, I  wanted to download spotify for linux. But the instructions are incomplete and unclear. Is there a simple, more familiar, way to download and install it, like other linux programs? I'm using Kubuntu 17.10

Often web pages have a one click download and install. (.deb) for example. But any way appropriate for non IT people would be great. 

Thanks

10 Replies

Hey @ianp5a,

I don't think it's so difficult!

Only follow this few steps:

1. Open the command prompt
  2. Fill in this code and hit enter:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886 0DF731E45CE24F27EEEB1450EFDC8610341D9410
  3. Fill in this and hit enter:
    echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
  4. Update your packages:
    sudo apt-get update
  5. And install Spotify: 
    sudo apt-get install spotify-client
  6. Enjoy Spotify 🙂

Have a nice day!

LukeSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello Guys,

Just to confirm that it worked for me on Linux Mint.

It seems that the description from LK608 is the same as the official one. When I tried that one the terminal did not process the 2nd command for some reason, but with the one from LK608 it is now installed.
My problem now that I cannot run the installed app.

I am on Linux Mint 17.1 and have a quite low permorance laptopt. Might this be the problem?

Thanks, but I'm looking for a solution that is easy for people who don't have, or know what the "command prompt" is that you mentioned. It is unfamiliar to normal users. A family friendly solution, just like other software can do.

Spotify is available as a snap and Flatpak install. Please add instructions on how to install it. As the current information is out of date and misleading. Some popular distros can install Spotify from their app stores. Engage with the community.  It would make the company look friendlier and smarter. 

It's much easier to follow these instructions if you cut from this page, and paste into your command line, rather than try to type exactly without error. Worked for me on Mint 18.

@ianp5a wrote:

Spotify is available as a snap and Flatpak install. Please add instructions on how to install it. As the current information is out of date and misleading. Some popular distros can install Spotify from their app stores. Engage with the community.  It would make the company look friendlier and smarter. 

Right now https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/ says:

"Go to Spotify in Ubuntu Software and click install. If the link doesn’t work, open Ubuntu Software and search for Spotify."

Do you mean that the other information below it makes it look misleading?

Thanks. I'm glad to see it's been updated. Command line instructions are only a problem if there is 'no alternative'. On Ubuntu the solution looks good. However it would be helpful if the solution for Flatpak and other distros such as Kubuntu were available. A downloadable .deb is used my many software providers, as a wide selection of distros automatically start the deb installer. Which is easy and familiar to use. I understand also .rpm files work in a similar way.

@ianp5a wrote:

Thanks. I'm glad to see it's been updated. Command line instructions are only a problem if there is 'no alternative'. On Ubuntu the solution looks good. However it would be helpful if the solution for Flatpak and other distros such as Kubuntu were available. A downloadable .deb is used my many software providers, as a wide selection of distros automatically start the deb installer. Which is easy and familiar to use.

Agreed about the download deb. https://www.google.com/chrome/ is a pretty nice installation page. The deb file actually already supports this. However, it requires some additional changes to our download servers that were never made, like how the mac and windows clients are deployed.

We haven't focused a lot on other distributions than plain Ubuntu, but I hope we can do that too.

For Ubuntu users: There is now also a Snap package available for Spotify. It can now easily be installed through the Software Center!

Oh, great, thanks you so much. It works perfect!

Suggested posts