Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error starting up Spotify on Ubuntu 12.04LTS

Solved!

Error starting up Spotify on Ubuntu 12.04LTS

Hello all,

I am suddenly receiving the following error when starting the latest Spotify from the 12.04LTS ubuntu system:

[1024/153020:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(231)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux_suid_sandbox_development.md for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
/usr/share/spotify/spotify: symbol lookup error: /usr/share/spotify/spotify: undefined symbol: g_type_add_instance_private

I've tried reinstalling but that did nothing. I am running

Spotify version 1.0.38.171.g5e1cd7b2

I do not understand why I get this sandbox issue - any advice?

Daniel

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The sandbox message is unrelated to your problem, everybody sees that. The second line is what is really the issue:

/usr/share/spotify/spotify: symbol lookup error: /usr/share/spotify/spotify: undefined symbol: g_type_add_instance_private

Spotify since version 1.0.x unfortunately does not work with Ubuntu 12.04LTS. It requires newer versions of a few different libraries. That is a decision made internally to make it easier to build (since much of the code is shared on a lot of different platforms). That is annoying, but not a bug. It might be possible to make it work, but it would require work.

In the dependency section of the package, it is possible to specify version numbers needed for these libraries. The current client does not specify them. That is a bug. If we fixed that bug, you would still not be able to use spotify on 12.04 however.

If spotify worked for you before, it probably meant you were still using 0.9.x and it got upgraded to 1.0.x. You might still be able to use that version if you install:

sudo apt-get install spotify-client-0.9.17

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

The sandbox message is unrelated to your problem, everybody sees that. The second line is what is really the issue:

Spotify since version 1.0.x unfortunately does not work with Ubuntu 12.04LTS. It requires newer versions of a few different libraries. That is a decision made internally to make it easier to build (since much of the code is shared on a lot of different platforms). That is annoying, but not a bug. It might be possible to make it work, but it would require work.

In the dependency section of the package, it is possible to specify version numbers needed for these libraries. The current client does not specify them. That is a bug. If we fixed that bug, you would still not be able to use spotify on 12.04 however.

If spotify worked for you before, it probably meant you were still using 0.9.x and it got upgraded to 1.0.x. You might still be able to use that version if you install:

sudo apt-get install spotify-client-0.9.17

Thanks for the quick reply. Installing the previous version you recommended indeed did the trick for now until I consider upgrading my OS. Thanks!

Suggested posts