Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Flatpak as cross-distribution solution

Flatpak as cross-distribution solution

Can I ask why you don't distribute Spotify for GNU/Linux as flatpak or appimage package?

6 Replies

A Spotify Linux version 1.0.64.407 for Flatpak is already available! You can get info about how to install here: https://flathub.org/apps.html

Flathub is the new "official" store for Flatpak (stable) applications. You will find Spotify in the list. Here is how to install:

- first, you have to add the Flathub remote to Flatpak with this command:

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

- now, you can add Spotify with this command:

flatpak install flathub com.spotify.Client

This version of Spotify Linux for Flatpak will be updated when a new stable version is available via Flathub. But a new checking will be done:

- when you'll install a new application from Flathub.
  - manually with the command: flatpak update com.spotify.Client
  - and of all Flatpak installed applications with the command: flatpak update

I'm an openSuSE Leap 42.3 (KDE Plasma 5.10) user, this Spotify version works fine on my PC! I hope you'll like the Flathub service...

Spotify_Linux_Flatpak.jpg

I don't really care about unofficial solutions. Flatpak package which is
available in Flathub use unofficial repo. This is not a solution for me. I
would like Spotify to provide official Flatpak package as they provide
official exe and dmg.

You're right but this version, originally developed for Ubuntu, allows me to have a Spotify client compatible with openSuSE without having to try to rebuild a *.rpm from the Ubuntu *.deb version by converting with alien utility (or to use another risky tip?). So I found this version useful for me.

However, if Spotify develops a REAL version for all Linux distributions, they should use AppImage rather than Flatpak because it's much more adapted to this type of application.

It Works Great for me on Mageia 7. Except that the icon does not appear on the Plasma 5 menu. I had to copy /var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/applications/com.spotify.Client to /usr/share/applications

Regards

I'm testing openSuse Leap 15.0 [beta] with KDE Plasma 5.12 desktop. With this distro, you can use (KDE Plasma) Discover. You have just to add the Flathub repository for Flatpak in Discovers's parameters. Wait for updating packages list and you'll can install last version of Spotify client with.

Spotify_Installation_with_Plasma_Discover_(Leap15).png

Screenshot_20180420_175618.png

When Spotifify client (Flatpak) installation was finished on my Leap 15.0, the Spotify icon was not correctly displayed in Plasma menu, but it was fixed after restarting the system. With the v1.0.77, the "personal music folder (bad) path" bug seems fixed, at last!

Hello Bernardo82

I noticed that.. Thank You very much.

I did also notice that in the latest Mageia 7 Cauldron the icons appears
fine without restarting.

Saludos Amigo

Suggested posts