Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Globally changing cache directory

Solved!

Globally changing cache directory

On a set of Linux systems I manage, my users want Spotify. I would like to oblige them, but caching their songs in their profiles (and thus, on my file server) is a bit too much, so I'd like to move it to a local directory.

Is there any way in which I can set the cache location globally, either in a global config file or a ? I cannot trust my users to do this on their own, and I don't have the storage capacity to store all of their cache dirs.

Kind regards,

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @bertptrs and welcome to Spotify Community : )

I am not sure if this is even going to work, but you can symlink all the storage folders to 1 global storage.

The setup should look like  this : 

Setup.png

For each user execute the following commands : 

su User
rm -rf ~/.cache/spotify/Storage
ln -s ~/Desktop/Storage /path/to/global/storage

Let me know if you have any success with this : )

P.S. Please note that this is not going to change your diskspace usage in anyway, but you can create symlink to remote folder ( using SSHFS for example ).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @bertptrs and welcome to Spotify Community : )

I am not sure if this is even going to work, but you can symlink all the storage folders to 1 global storage.

The setup should look like  this : 

Setup.png

For each user execute the following commands : 

su User
rm -rf ~/.cache/spotify/Storage
ln -s ~/Desktop/Storage /path/to/global/storage

Let me know if you have any success with this : )

P.S. Please note that this is not going to change your diskspace usage in anyway, but you can create symlink to remote folder ( using SSHFS for example ).

I'm not sure either, because it will probably get messy with ownership. I'm currently looking into Unburden to solve this issue in the general case (currently have an annoying hack in place to restrict Google Chrome). I'll post it when I know it works.

Suggested posts