Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to search for items that have simple names?

How to search for items that have simple names?

Say, I want to search for the band named Band. How do I do it without getting the millions of bands with the word "band" in their name?

(Yes, I know there is a band called The Band, but searching with the phrase artist:"the band" does not make the result list much shorter.)

spo
3 Replies

In such cases I'd probably first google the band (which can be tricky, too) but once you have a list with their releases, it's really easy to find them through Spotify. 

Yes, and I could do even the playback with Google Play, couldn't I? 🙂

spo

Sorry Carina, I did not want to sound sarcastic. Let me rephrase my example: say I want to compare performancies of the song "I miss you". So I write track:"I Miss You" in the search field - and what do I get? Thousands of songs called "The way/Darling/BabyGirl/Honey/Daddy/Mama/Granny/Now/How/When/Whenever/Everyday/Still I miss you" and "I miss you woman/girl/honey/you name it". Of course I could exclude every single word I don't want with a minus (-) sign, but that would be ridiculous. And even if it wasn't, search phrase has a maximum length. Believe me or not, I've bumped into it quite a few times.

If you ask me, search should work so that track:"I Miss You" should only return songs called "I Miss You" and nothing else. If you wanted to check all songs with "I Miss You" in it, then you'd write track:"*I Miss You*". Miraculously, in addition to being more user friendly, it would be lighter on the Spotify database engine as well! The way it works now is so heavy on the system that Spotify had to limit the search results in the current black bible version of Spotify. The good old gray version that I am using still gives me endless results - one more reason to use it. 🙂

spo

Suggested posts