Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to use Spotify on Raspberry Pi?

How to use Spotify on Raspberry Pi?

There is no linux version of Spotify on ARM. Then I use Spotify web player, but why it doesn't support on Firefox ESR? I can run it on Firefox in Ubuntu and Windows 10. The same browser, just different OS, but I can't run it in Raspberry Pi. OK, then I change to use Chromium. After I enter Spotify web player page, and it redirect to main page immediately. What the fxxk is this? It can't work on Firefox and Chromium on Raspberry pi. And it can't also install Spotify on Raspberry pi. Is there any else way to run Spotify on Raspberry Pi?

7 Replies

Hey @j5515733

Chromium doesn't seem to support the elements needed for the web player by default.
An user on Debian found out what could cause that, here you can see their post.
I also found a recent blog post stating that using a user-agent switcher for Chromium set to be Internet Explorer (10) should work. So I suppose it's worth trying it out. (although support for IE is now sort of ?? so I suggest Edge)

As for Firefox ESR... Firefox should have an inbuilt module for DRM content. It's visible under about:plugins and it has this fancy descriptive name:
"Widevine Content Decryption Module provided by Google Inc."

To see if it's activated, look under about:addons, in the plugins section and let it to 'Always activate'. There's a setting for it under about:preferences too, and there somewhere should be a switch for playing DRM content. (I have Nightly and it's slightly different)

Keep me posted... 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have installed User-Agent Switcher for Chrome. The problem is still exit. Using default mode of User-Agent Switcher for Chrome will redirect main page, and using Firefox, Interner explorer, Opera and Safari mode dont't support web player.

And Firefox does't support Spotify web player on ARM at all. I can see the DRM option in Windows 10, but it doesn't apeear in Firefox ESR.
(https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-drm)

https://github.com/dtcooper/raspotify

ill leave this here

MAN YOU'RE AWESOME!!!! Thanks a lot!

Raspotify is awesome. I installed it on a RP 3B and it is the only way that I manage to stream spotify to my hifi gear. It works flawlessly and I now run my RP completely headless. I control Spotify trough Spotify connect and a remote VNC connection to shut the RB down.

Great work - Seamless integration, no problems at all!

Suggested posts