Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

King of Limbs crashes player

Solved!

King of Limbs crashes player

After double-clicking on any song from the album 'The King of Limbs' from Radiohead, my Spotify player crashes. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS running Spotify version 1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce

Anyone experiencing the same behavior? Anyone with a solution?

I tried installing libquicktime to see if it had anything to do with this other issue, but no luck.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The reason is most likely because you have added local files and Spotify found your The King of Limbs from Radiohead. Spotify has also managed to map those files to the Spotify version. Whenever you tried to play spotify tracks that the client has found that you have locally, it will try to play those local files instead.

Spotify on Linux before 1.0.3x something is buggy and would crash if you tried to play local files and didn't have the correct version of libav* libraries installed. 1.0.28 is quite old by now. For some reason, you have not received upgrades.

Follow the instructions on: https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

This should upgrade the client. Current stable version on Linux is 1.0.49.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

The reason is most likely because you have added local files and Spotify found your The King of Limbs from Radiohead. Spotify has also managed to map those files to the Spotify version. Whenever you tried to play spotify tracks that the client has found that you have locally, it will try to play those local files instead.

Spotify on Linux before 1.0.3x something is buggy and would crash if you tried to play local files and didn't have the correct version of libav* libraries installed. 1.0.28 is quite old by now. For some reason, you have not received upgrades.

Follow the instructions on: https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

This should upgrade the client. Current stable version on Linux is 1.0.49.

So, for some reason which I don't remember anymore, the apt repository for spotify was disabled, that's why I haven't been getting updates. I fixed that and upgraded, running 1.0.49.125.g72ee7853 now. However, the exact same problem occurs: Spotify crashes when trying to play those songs. Since you said it's related to the local files, and I didn't actually use that feature, I removed the source and now it's working fine. The bug is still there, though, but my particular problem is solved, thanks!

Suggested posts