Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux Cache Location not being respected

Solved!

Linux Cache Location not being respected

Hi,

I'm running Spotify 1.0.19.106.gb8a7150f on a Lubuntu machine 14.04

In settings, I have

Cache > Location: /media/storage/spotify_cache

I've checked in $HOME/.config/spotify/prefs and the correct location is set there:
storage.location="/media/storage/spotify_cache"

However these setting aren't being respected by spotify, instead it seems to be using $HOME/.cache/spotify instead?

Anyone else seeing this? Is there are fix?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Leon,

Here is a simple workaround, but you will need to delete the existing cache folder.

rm -rf $HOME/.cache/spotify
ln -s /media/storage/spotify_cache $HOME/.cache/spotify

Now $HOME/.cache/spotify will contain what /media/storage/spotify_cache have and vice-versa.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Leon,

Here is a simple workaround, but you will need to delete the existing cache folder.

rm -rf $HOME/.cache/spotify
ln -s /media/storage/spotify_cache $HOME/.cache/spotify

Now $HOME/.cache/spotify will contain what /media/storage/spotify_cache have and vice-versa.

Many thanks - that seems to work well 🙂

This is option is better/more reliable than using the included option on settings ("offline songs storage"), that was not really working for downloaded songs

No need to wast nvme space for spotify!

Don't see why this was marked solved. Using a symbolic link to work around the bug doesn't change the fact the bug still exists. It is now four years and this bug  still persists.

This is a workaround, albeit a good and reliable one, IMO.

It is _not_ a solution in the sense of a bugfix. The configuration option is still misleading and contributing to cluttered home directories in 2020.

Suggested posts