Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Can't log in - "Log in with Facebook" button does nothing

[Linux] Can't log in - "Log in with Facebook" button does nothing

1. Your device and operating system: White box, KDE Neon (Ubuntu 16.04 plus KDE, put together by the KDE team), which currently has KDE 5.7.2. This is a fresh install.
  2. Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Premium + Family account
  3. The app version of Spotify you’re using: dpkg shows 1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce-37
  4. Brief description of the issue: The "Log in with Facebook" button on initial launch does nothing. It does not launch a web browser or change what is displayed in Spotify. The button does change its text color indicating it registered my click, but beyond that, nothing.
  5. Steps to reproduce the issue:

• Install KDE Neon
  • Install Spotify
  • Try to log in with Facebook

6. Attach the spotify-dump.txt ( $HOME/spotify-dump.txt ) from Advanced troubleshooting 4.

Done.

I suspect any user of a recent KDE version (so Kubuntu 16.04, too) would have this issue, but I have not been able to find any reports in my searching.

6 Replies

I can't seem to even make heads or tails of the lines related to me clicking the button in the log. If anyone has any pointers in how I might solve this myself, I'd appreciate it.

Hi there!

Same problem here! (Can relate/Reproduce)

1. Your device and operating system: Kubuntu, KDE Neon (Ubuntu 16.04 plus KDE) which currently has KDE 5.7.2. This is a fresh install x64.
  2. Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Free
  3. The app version of Spotify you’re using: muon shows 1:1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce-37
  4. Brief description of the issue: The "Log in with Facebook" button on initial launch does nothing. It does not launch a web browser or change what is displayed in Spotify. The button does change its text color indicating it registered my click, but beyond that, nothing. Root console shows the action but browser doesn't respond
  5. Steps to reproduce the issue:
  • Install KDE Neon
  • Install Spotify
  • Try to log in with Facebook
  1. Atach Log: see root console output

I will post more data later, but it seems the same problem, and neither works the signup button that requires an auto opening of a webbrowser tab

EDIT: LOOKS LIKE WE GOT TO WAIT...

this is at the readme in /usr/share/spotify

Known limitations and restrictions
----------------------------------

Between client versions 0.9.x and 1.0.0, Spotify rewrote a large portion of the
internal codebase for the client. The advantage was to leverage more features of
the CEF framework. This eliminated most of the QT code in the old Spotify
client, which was the cause of quite many Linux-specific GUI bugs. So while this
refactoring has contributed to a much faster and more stable Linux client, there
are a number of features which are not yet implemented from the old client,
including:

- Facebook login
- 32-bit support
- Application menu
- Unity integration
- Now playing notifications (with a GUI setting this time)

So we got to wait some kind of actualization, because that won't work, i'm going to try now to generate an username and pass from my account to shortcut the facebook login, because i suppose that doesn't need the opening of a web browser tab.

PS: neither know where is the spotify dump, that's why i haven't posted it yet

Console Spotfy output.png

Temporarily, the only way i've found to go through the signup is generating a password for your account.

This means: If you got a Facebook account and linked spotify to it just go to the profile section in this same page, then select the option that says "Set a password for your devices" (or some kind, my page was in spanish because i'm from argenina) and set up one, it will generate an username automatically.

Use that user and pass to login in the section on *ubuntu's spotify app.

It Works! Hope it helps!

Good find - that works perfectly. Thanks!

One point of clarification for future people who find this, "Set device password" is found on your Spotify account page (at spotify.com), not on this community page.

This does not work for me. I keep getting "Service is temporarily unavailable, please try again later. (Error code: 7)". Been stuck with that error for about a week.

My Facebook login wasn't working either. I was using Firefox as my default browser. I changed the default browser to Chrome and then it worked.

TL;DR mine only worked when I signed in using Chrome.

Now, changing my default browser back to Firefox 😉

Suggested posts