Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux Client crashing (segfault) on certain songs

Linux Client crashing (segfault) on certain songs

- Kubuntu 15.04 64-bit (Ubuntu KDE) Fresh build, Lenovo T430. Custom or default kernel.
- Premium user.
 -ii  spotify-client                              1:1.0.14.124.g4dfabc51     amd64

- Spotify crashes when loading certain songs, always on the same songs.  For example, when loading the copy of AC/DC Back in Black from the "Workday: Rock Classics" playlist: https://open.spotify.com/track/08mG3Y1vljYA6bvDt4Wqkj (playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/3ChGYhKK8R2PM1pb7xNvNp )

- To reproduce: Load the playlist, click "play".  Or double-click on the first song.  My "Starred" playlist crashes on the first song too.  HOWEVER, it's not just "the first song in any playlist", it's specific songs.  If I double-click another song, but am playing the playlist in random or repeat mode, when one of the problem tracks loads, Spotify crashes.

I followed the troubleshooting steps to make sure music plays via asound and other apps fine.

Then I cleared my spotify cache by running "rm -Rf .cache/spotify".

Then I did a purge uninstall (in aptitude) of spotify, and reinstalled it.

Then I tested, and saw crashes still.

I have no problems playing these songs on PS4 or Android clients.

STDOUT and STDERR joined log attached.  I can generate a core file as well, but it's not very useful to me. Also have a webex account if someone wants to view/troubleshoot on my system if it's hard to reproduce.

I work: IT Security. I travel: weekly for work. I am: human. I don't consider you a Social Media Expert until you can find me on freenode.
41 Replies

@jooon:

16:03 rob@kubuntu5:~/stuff$ pbrun dpkg-query -l spotify-client
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                     Version                   Architecture              Description
+++-========================================-=========================-=========================-======================================================================================
ii  spotify-client                           1:1.0.17.75.g8f111100     amd64                     Spotify streaming music client

Today crashed on a track in my Discover Weekly.
@spotifycares said to upload the corefile to the security team.  If that sounds good, i'll get it over tonight or tomorrow morning (or if they confirm separately).

Missing my hotkeys in the browser player. 😞
I work: IT Security. I travel: weekly for work. I am: human. I don't consider you a Social Media Expert until you can find me on freenode.

Having the exact same issue, here's an in-place stacktrace obtained by running the spotify client through valgrind:

14:19:08.930 D [gaia_manager.cpp:1636           ] GAIA: GaiaManager::becomeActiveDevice, isActiveDevice=false
14:19:09.019 D [gaia_manager.cpp:853            ] GAIA:   current state ID updated to -670830710
==15136== Thread 18 Core Thread:
==15136== Invalid read of size 1
==15136==    at 0x3000018740: index (in /lib64/ld-2.21.so)
==15136==    by 0x3000013371: dl_open_worker (in /lib64/ld-2.21.so)
==15136==    by 0x300000EFE3: _dl_catch_error (in /lib64/ld-2.21.so)
==15136==    by 0x3000012DB2: _dl_open (in /lib64/ld-2.21.so)
==15136==    by 0x3001200FD8: dlopen_doit (in /lib64/libdl-2.21.so)
==15136==    by 0x300000EFE3: _dl_catch_error (in /lib64/ld-2.21.so)
==15136==    by 0x3001201588: _dlerror_run (in /lib64/libdl-2.21.so)
==15136==    by 0x3001201070: dlopen@@GLIBC_2.2.5 (in /lib64/libdl-2.21.so)
==15136==    by 0xF1A6A8: ??? (in /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)
==15136==    by 0xF0EF0B: ??? (in /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)
==15136==    by 0xF05DE9: ??? (in /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)
==15136==    by 0xF1B6BF: ??? (in /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)

I wish I could get the arguments to dlopen from the coredump but the stack is trashed and can't get the symbols right.

-. wherever you go, there you are .-

@the_paya I was able to securely send them an actual core file, a little less than 2 weeks ago - I'll ping that contact to see if there's any update.

Security guy said they'd take a look, then went silent again. I'm still getting crashes today, most recently with both Plush and "Dead & Bloated" from the STP artist page, and Core album page, respectively. ii spotify-client 1:1.0.19.106.gb8a715 amd64 Spotify streaming music client Also, all local files cause a crash. Using my Nvidia graphics card rather than my i915 card doesn't help either.

@jooon wrote:

Can you check if you can reproduce the crashes with 1.0.16 that was just released?

Still having issues today with:
ii spotify-client 1:1.0.19.106.gb8a7150f amd64 Spotify streaming music client
Any update, anything I can do to help troubleshoot? Did you get the core from the security team, or could I send a new one to you securely and directly? (I have a secure send system called Leapfile, and can PM the download info to you, if that would help).

Bumping my own thread. I crashed today on Alice in Chains' Down in a Hole. spotify:track:5i8XTQ4f48NY67mEFOsjVn Can you guys send me some debug symbols or source code, so I can help solve this already?

Hey, guess what crashed today?

Spotify!

$ sudo dpkg-query -s spotify-client
Package: spotify-client
Priority: extra
Section: sound
Installed-Size: 169286
Maintainer: Spotify <tux@spotify.com>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1:1.0.19.106.gb8a7150f

$ sudo dpkg-query -s spotify-client Package: spotify-client Status: install ok installed Priority: extra Section: sound Installed-Size: 181276 Maintainer: Spotify Architecture: amd64 Version: 1:1.0.23.93.gd6cfae15-30

Playing: https://open.spotify.com/track/5bxubYHAwnNxLt2XdpEjwf

gdb session:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

[Switching to Thread 0x7fffd5be0700 (LWP 15036)]

strchr () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/../strchr.S:32 32 ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/../strchr.S: No such file or directory.

(gdb)

(gdb) generate-core-file ~/stuff/spotify.core

warning: Memory read failed for corefile section, 8192 bytes at 0x7ffff7ff8000.

Saved corefile /home/rob/stuff/spotify.core

Also have the "thread apply all bt" in a script output. Would love to send this to someone. 😕

I'm also getting a segfault on arch linux. I can't even open spotify, just a grey screen for a bit until it segfaults. I hope this can be fixed soon, it was working great a couple versions ago.

Hey @Stephen304,

I don't have access to my Linux machine atm, but can you try to find out where is the Russian localization and remove it?

It should be something like ru.mo and you should be able to find it somewhere in /home/user./config/Spotify.

There doesn't seem to be any .mo files in .config/spotify. I also tried searching my whole home directory for ru.mo and found nothing.

I used:

find $HOME | grep -E "[rR][uU]\.[mM][oO]$"

And it found the 2 test files I created in my home directory, as well as localizations in other code I work on with varying cases. Other than those, no results.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6kjlvJLh2DBsSQtqVzFh8I crashed me today running the latest update. Also, I'm running on my laptop today from South Africa, so it's not unique to my network. When I get back, I'll finish fixing my lab laptop, and try on that one, to remove the system variable.

$ sudo dpkg-query -s spotify-client

Section: sound I

nstalled-Size: 182420

Version: 1:1.0.24.104.g92a22684-29

And again on https://open.spotify.com/track/0CoPoNohPHCjvggWHlxgk5 while I was writing this up.

Upgraded laptop to Ubuntu 16.04, still getting arbitrary crashes:

11:19 rob@kubuntu5:~$ sudo dpkg -s spotify-client
Section: sound
Installed-Size: 189252
Version: 1:1.0.29.92.g67727800-21
Depends: libasound2, libcurl3, libgconf-2-4, libgtk2.0-0, libglib2.0-0, libgcrypt11 | libgcrypt20, libnss3, libudev1, libx11-6, libxtst6
Recommends: libavcodec54 | libavcodec-extra-54, libavformat54
Suggests: libnotify
Description: Spotify streaming music client
License: https://www.spotify.com/legal/end-user-agreement
Vendor: Spotify AB
Homepage: https://www.spotify.com
11:19 rob@kubuntu5:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04 LTS"

Confirming the issue on my machine with Ubuntu 16.04.

Everything worked fine and stable until an hour ago and suddenly several titles segfaulted the spotify-client reproducably.

Clearing ~/.cache/spotify did not change anything

Clearing ~/.config/spotify did

It's working fine again now, but i wonder what caused the issue

Okay, i was just fiddling with local files when it happened again. At least the segfaults on my machine seem to be related to some of the local mp3s.

After deleting the ~/.config/spotify directory the "local-files.bnk" was obviously gone and spotify streamed the title i was having issues with before. After adding the local files to spotify again it tried to use the local version of that title and crashed again.

Somehow the spotify-client is completely unable to play any of my local mp3s, while no other music player ever had problems with them.

PS: After reading Linux-Local-files-do-not-play-on-Ubuntu-14-04 I tried running spotify with the mentioned libraries from ubuntu precise in a separate directory specified by LD_LIBRARY_PATH and who would've thought? Local file playback is working again. 

$ strings /usr/share/spotify/spotify | grep libav
libavcodec.so.56
libavcodec.so.54
libavcodec.so.53
libavcodec.so.52
libavformat.so.56
libavformat.so.54
libavformat.so.53
libavformat.so.52

it seems the client knows about the newer libraries but causes segfaults on playback. The older versions work and seems to be preferred if available.

Wow...

11:38 rob@kubuntu5:~/stuff/spotify$ ll
total 3660
-rw-r--r--. 1 rob sysadmin 2912334 Mar 22 2012 libavcodec53_0.8.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r--. 1 rob sysadmin 495118 Mar 22 2012 libavformat53_0.8.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r--. 1 rob sysadmin 63446 Mar 22 2012 libavutil51_0.8.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r--. 1 rob sysadmin 269182 Feb 9 2012 libvpx1_1.0.0-1_amd64.deb
11:39 rob@kubuntu5:~/stuff/spotify$ for i in *.deb; do dpkg-deb -R $i ./
> done

11:40 rob@kubuntu5:~/stuff/spotify$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:`pwd`/usr/lib/ spotify

And things are working fine so far.

So that answers that problem, but that's not a fix.

> Clearing ~/.config/spotify did

Thanks! This helped me as well

Reproducible crashes on Ubuntu 16.04 with some older albums of Jorge Drexler (eg 12 segundos de obscuridad, Llueve)

The client even crashed when selecting an album from my mobile where it played and then using Spotify Connect to transfer the playing to my PC.

spotify-client: Installed: 1:1.0.37.152.gc83ea995-42

Thanks for the info so far. Deleting `local-files.bnk` from `~/.config/spotify/Users/<name>` solved this for me.

For the people who fixed it by clearing their local config, or local files list, did the problem eventually come back? it did for me, I'm still needing the "old libraries" workaround.

FWIW, I haven't had this problem in a while. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS on a System76 laptop, fully updated. Not sure what changed.

Suggested posts