Linux Client crashing (segfault) on certain songs

Re: Linux Client crashing (segfault) on certain songs

Stephen304
Casual Listener

There doesn't seem to be any .mo files in .config/spotify. I also tried searching my whole home directory for ru.mo and found nothing.

I used:

find $HOME | grep -E "[rR][uU]\.[mM][oO]$"

And it found the 2 test files I created in my home directory, as well as localizations in other code I work on with varying cases. Other than those, no results.

docsmooth
Gig Goer

https://open.spotify.com/track/6kjlvJLh2DBsSQtqVzFh8I crashed me today running the latest update. Also, I'm running on my laptop today from South Africa, so it's not unique to my network. When I get back, I'll finish fixing my lab laptop, and try on that one, to remove the system variable.

$ sudo dpkg-query -s spotify-client

Package: spotify-client

Priority: extra

Section: sound I

nstalled-Size: 182420

Maintainer: Spotify <tux@spotify.com>

Architecture: amd64

Version: 1:1.0.24.104.g92a22684-29

And again on https://open.spotify.com/track/0CoPoNohPHCjvggWHlxgk5 while I was writing this up.

I work: IT Security. I travel: weekly for work. I am: human. I don't consider you a Social Media Expert until you can find me on freenode.

docsmooth
Gig Goer

Upgraded laptop to Ubuntu 16.04, still getting arbitrary crashes:

11:19 rob@kubuntu5:~$ sudo dpkg -s spotify-client
Package: spotify-client
Priority: extra
Section: sound
Installed-Size: 189252
Maintainer: Spotify <tux@spotify.com>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1:1.0.29.92.g67727800-21
Depends: libasound2, libcurl3, libgconf-2-4, libgtk2.0-0, libglib2.0-0, libgcrypt11 | libgcrypt20, libnss3, libudev1, libx11-6, libxtst6
Recommends: libavcodec54 | libavcodec-extra-54, libavformat54
Suggests: libnotify
Description: Spotify streaming music client
License: https://www.spotify.com/legal/end-user-agreement
Vendor: Spotify AB
Homepage: https://www.spotify.com
11:19 rob@kubuntu5:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04 LTS"

I work: IT Security. I travel: weekly for work. I am: human. I don't consider you a Social Media Expert until you can find me on freenode.

m0gg
Casual Listener

Confirming the issue on my machine with Ubuntu 16.04.

Everything worked fine and stable until an hour ago and suddenly several titles segfaulted the spotify-client reproducably.

Clearing ~/.cache/spotify did not change anything

Clearing ~/.config/spotify did

It's working fine again now, but i wonder what caused the issue

m0gg
Casual Listener

Okay, i was just fiddling with local files when it happened again. At least the segfaults on my machine seem to be related to some of the local mp3s.

After deleting the ~/.config/spotify directory the "local-files.bnk" was obviously gone and spotify streamed the title i was having issues with before. After adding the local files to spotify again it tried to use the local version of that title and crashed again.

Somehow the spotify-client is completely unable to play any of my local mp3s, while no other music player ever had problems with them.

PS: After reading Linux-Local-files-do-not-play-on-Ubuntu-14-04 I tried running spotify with the mentioned libraries from ubuntu precise in a separate directory specified by LD_LIBRARY_PATH and who would've thought? Local file playback is working again. 

$ strings /usr/share/spotify/spotify | grep libav
libavcodec.so.56
libavcodec.so.54
libavcodec.so.53
libavcodec.so.52
libavformat.so.56
libavformat.so.54
libavformat.so.53
libavformat.so.52

it seems the client knows about the newer libraries but causes segfaults on playback. The older versions work and seems to be preferred if available.

docsmooth
Gig Goer

Wow...

11:38 rob@kubuntu5:~/stuff/spotify$ ll
total 3660
-rw-r--r--. 1 rob sysadmin 2912334 Mar 22 2012 libavcodec53_0.8.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r--. 1 rob sysadmin 495118 Mar 22 2012 libavformat53_0.8.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r--. 1 rob sysadmin 63446 Mar 22 2012 libavutil51_0.8.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r--. 1 rob sysadmin 269182 Feb 9 2012 libvpx1_1.0.0-1_amd64.deb
11:39 rob@kubuntu5:~/stuff/spotify$ for i in *.deb; do dpkg-deb -R $i ./
> done

11:40 rob@kubuntu5:~/stuff/spotify$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:`pwd`/usr/lib/ spotify

And things are working fine so far.

So that answers that problem, but that's not a fix.

Matthaeus
Gig Goer

> Clearing ~/.config/spotify did

Thanks! This helped me as well

Reproducible crashes on Ubuntu 16.04 with some older albums of Jorge Drexler (eg 12 segundos de obscuridad, Llueve)

The client even crashed when selecting an album from my mobile where it played and then using Spotify Connect to transfer the playing to my PC.

spotify-client: Installed: 1:1.0.37.152.gc83ea995-42

rpbaptist
Music Fan

Thanks for the info so far. Deleting `local-files.bnk` from `~/.config/spotify/Users/<name>` solved this for me.

docsmooth
Gig Goer
For the people who fixed it by clearing their local config, or local files list, did the problem eventually come back? it did for me, I'm still needing the "old libraries" workaround.

Stephen304
Casual Listener

FWIW, I haven't had this problem in a while. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS on a System76 laptop, fully updated. Not sure what changed.

SUGGESTED POSTS