Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] [Desktop] No emojis support in latest Spotify snap for Ubuntu

Solved!

[Linux] [Desktop] No emojis support in latest Spotify snap for Ubuntu

I know this isn't super important right now but my playlists look kinda boring with grey squares insted of emojis. If you guys could add emoji support to the snap version of Spotify, it'd be pretty cool. Thanks for the hard work, btw.

EDIT: Japanese is also broken.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @ElLucioVpe, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. We can definitely understand where you're coming from with this, emojis can definitely make playlists more exciting.

We don't offically support Linux, but hopefully this can be resolved in the future.

If you need help with anything else, feel free to let us know.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @ElLucioVpe, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. We can definitely understand where you're coming from with this, emojis can definitely make playlists more exciting.

We don't offically support Linux, but hopefully this can be resolved in the future.

If you need help with anything else, feel free to let us know.

NVM didn't read the fine text

Viewing Emoji and Japanese characters are supported. You should just need the right fonts installed. Can you check this playlist in both a web browser and in the desktop client?

https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX6DSpGPEZWHV

If you can see the characters rendered correctly in the browser, it should work in the client. Can you check which fonts are installed?

dpkg -l | grep fonts

There was a problem in very old versions of the snap client which could not use system installed fonts. Check spotify version and what snap says with:

spotify --version
snap info spotify

I can view japanese text fine but I have problems with the emoji displaying. It displays fine on web player but the desktop app still shows boxes. I'm on version 1.0.88.353.g15c26ea1

output of

dpkg -l | grep fonts

: https://0x0.st/swNe.txt (since spotify doesn't allow to attach txt file)

Suggested posts