Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Solved!

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Current method to install the spotify rpm is based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Basically, this automates the process of downloading, building and installing a spotity rpm based on the official Debian packages.

EDIT: Bug reported (page 19), temporary work-around published.

EDIT: New solution based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Old  method deprecated but still available.

EDIT: updated for new upstream release: 0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.1.55.

EDIT: Downgrading procedure to 0.8.4 published

EDIT: Update header to include F19

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.0.133

EDIT: updating link

EDIT: new solution for 0.8.8 published.

223 Replies

I will look into this. Basically, we need Spotify to keep the old links for a while....But for the time being, the spec does not work.

See this link

Marked as solution

There is now a new, simpler method based on a rpmfusion package. To use this, you must first enable the rpmfusion repository[1] if you haven't done this already:

# sudo yum localinstall --nogpgcheck   http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

After that, the simple procedure is

# yum install lpf-spotify-client
$ lpf update

This will guide you through the process of downloading, building and installing the spotify rpm through some GUI dialogs (screenshots at [2]). If you want a pure command line  operation without any GUI dialogs use

$ DISPLAY= lpf update

This method is based on the brand new lpf framework[2]. Expect bugs. If you find one, please report it at the lpf upstream [2] or in the regular rpmfusion bugzilla [3]. There is  lpf -h and man lpf with more info on lpf.

As a temporary work-around to fix local playback of files do:

# yum install ffmpeg-compat

[1] http://rpmfusion.org/

[2] https://github.com/leamas/lpf

[3] https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org

EDIT Updated for now rpmfusion package lpf-spotify-client. Deprecating old method, changing EDIT list to latest first.

EDIT: Updated for new  release: 0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2. Same procedure and links.

EDIT: Making specfile available through a generic 'latest' version - these instructions are copy-pasted all over the net and will otherwise not work as soon there is an update.

EDIT: Updated for 0.9.1.55. This time the old 0.9.0 are still present in the download repo. Still, keep the old rpms around if you want to downgrade. As traditional, no real testing done beyond that it starts and plays me a song.

EDIT: Downgrading procedure to 0.8.4 added

EDIT: Updated for 0.9.0.133. Once again the old version is gone, keep your old rpms so you can downgrade if needed!

The old, deprecated method still works:

# yum install wget rpmdevtools rpm-build yum-utils
$ rpmdev-setuptree
$ cd $(rpm --eval %_sourcedir)
$ wget http://leamas.fedorapeople.org/spotify/latest/spotify-client.spec
$ spectool -g spotify-client.spec
# yum-builddep spotify-client.spec
$ env QA_RPATHS=$((0x10|0x08)) rpmbuild -bb spotify-client.spec

This will consume some time, CPU-cycles, hard-disk space and also produce a lot of output. In the end you will find a line like (but not the same!):

Wrote:  /home/leamas/rpmbuild/RPMS/i686/spotify-client-0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2.fc19.i686.rpm

Here you have a RPM file you can install, in my case by doing:

# yum install \
/home/leamas/rpmbuild/RPMS/i686/spotify-client-0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2.fc19.i686.rpm

Again, your case is similar but not the same 🙂

The spotify application logo disapeared with this release.

Thanks for reporting!

Hm... I actually don't understand which logo you are talking about. But yes, there was a missing Icons link which I fixed in release 2 which is uploaded (same link, same instructions). Could you please test? If problem persists, a little more info about what icon which is missing would be valuable.

Hi,

Tested, apperently wrong logo fix 🙂

The "small" spotify logo with the tux sitting beside it. When I click "Activities" up left corner and then "Show applications".

OK, I can reproduce this (and it's something completely different). Have other things to do right now, but stay tuned.

Without trying, the register.sh script in /usr/share/spotify-client/register.sh might be a walkaround,  perhaps after tweaking the new paths. But I will update the spec with a proper fix later.

Just installed 0.8.8 on F18 using the instructions above, and works perfectly (had to remove the .cache/spotify directory to get rid of an unclickable license agreement initially).

Thanks very much for the work in providing this - very useful 🙂

Marked as solution

I have updated the spec to release 3. Same instructions and links. Changes:

• Install desktop icons properly.
  • Wipe ~/.cache/spotify first run w this version

Just tested release 3 with 0.8.8 on F18 and worked perfectly.. Thank you..

BTW, I do get a SIGSEGV error because of:

Missing build id: libssl.so.0.9.8
Missing build id: libcrypto.so.0.9.8
Missing build id: libflashplayer.so

This is due to Openssl.

Spotify is expecting version 0.9.8, but F18 is already on version 1.01

It still works though..

The package bundles libssl  and libcrypto 0.9.8. These messages are because the libraries misses compiled version information. That kind of version info is seldom used, and the messages should not mean anything.

I also get segmentation faults, SIGSEGV at exit which doesn't seem to matter.  I also got some in the very beginning using 0.8.8, but they somehow disappeared after using it for a while.

Just for the record, would be helpful if you and other reported not only Fedora version but also platform (i386/x86_63).

Got it... and regarding the platform: F18.x86_64

Thanks..

logo bug fixed

I have just tried the v0.8.8 .spec file on Fedora 18 x86_64. It Compiled, installed and is now running without issue. Thank you leamas.

thanks for the guide. worked flawlessly. 

fedora 18 gnome x86_64. sweet music.

Just installed Fedora 18 (i686).

Now listening music through Spotify thanks to this post.

Last posted script worked without any errors.

Thank you leamus, signed up just to let you know 😄

Running 0.8.8.323.gd143501.250-3 on F18 x86_64.

Works perfect. With F17 I had used alien to convert the .deb package.

But on updgrade to F18 that executable broke but your method works fine.

Thank you.

This is great, thanks a lot leamas!

If you are uncertain how to build  your own rpm (despite the very detailed instruction by leamas) I built the rpms for fedora 17/18/Rhel (and probably all the rhel-clones), both for 32 and 64.

You can grab them here, http://blog.fridns.se/spotify-in-fedora-1718-red-hat-enterprise-6-x/

Suggested posts