Current method to install the spotify rpm is based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Basically, this automates the process of downloading, building and installing a spotity rpm based on the official Debian packages.
EDIT: Bug reported (page 19), temporary work-around published.
EDIT: New solution based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Old method deprecated but still available.
EDIT: updated for new upstream release: 0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2
EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.1.55.
EDIT: Downgrading procedure to 0.8.4 published
EDIT: Update header to include F19
EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.0.133
EDIT: updating link
EDIT: new solution for 0.8.8 published.
Solved! Go to Solution.
There is now a new, simpler method based on a rpmfusion package. To use this, you must first enable the rpmfusion repository if you haven't done this already:
# sudo yum localinstall --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm
After that, the simple procedure is
# yum install lpf-spotify-client $ lpf update
This will guide you through the process of downloading, building and installing the spotify rpm through some GUI dialogs (screenshots at ). If you want a pure command line operation without any GUI dialogs use
$ DISPLAY= lpf update
This method is based on the brand new lpf framework. Expect bugs. If you find one, please report it at the lpf upstream  or in the regular rpmfusion bugzilla . There is lpf -h and man lpf with more info on lpf.
As a temporary work-around to fix local playback of files do:
# yum install ffmpeg-compat
EDIT Updated for now rpmfusion package lpf-spotify-client. Deprecating old method, changing EDIT list to latest first.
EDIT: Updated for new release: 0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2. Same procedure and links.
EDIT: Making specfile available through a generic 'latest' version - these instructions are copy-pasted all over the net and will otherwise not work as soon there is an update.
EDIT: Updated for 0.9.1.55. This time the old 0.9.0 are still present in the download repo. Still, keep the old rpms around if you want to downgrade. As traditional, no real testing done beyond that it starts and plays me a song.
EDIT: Downgrading procedure to 0.8.4 added
EDIT: Updated for 0.9.0.133. Once again the old version is gone, keep your old rpms so you can downgrade if needed!
The old, deprecated method still works:
# yum install wget rpmdevtools rpm-build yum-utils $ rpmdev-setuptree $ cd $(rpm --eval %_sourcedir) $ wget http://leamas.fedorapeople.org/spotify/latest/spotify-client.spec $ spectool -g spotify-client.spec # yum-builddep spotify-client.spec $ env QA_RPATHS=$((0x10|0x08)) rpmbuild -bb spotify-client.spec
This will consume some time, CPU-cycles, hard-disk space and also produce a lot of output. In the end you will find a line like (but not the same!):
Here you have a RPM file you can install, in my case by doing:
# yum install \
Again, your case is similar but not the same 🙂
I have updated the spec to release 3. Same instructions and links. Changes:
Simply speaking I haven't the faintest idea of what you are hitting... Some basic questions:
EDIT: Also, after running as root you might run into problems with the ~/.cache/spotify and ~/.config/spotify directories. Remove them (as root) before running as regular user.
Lovely. Got it working thanks.
I perhaps should have mentioned that I did have Spotify (0.8.8) working just fine under Fedora 17, then I used FedUp to get from F17->F19 and, as Spotify no longer worked, updated Spotify to the current release too.
Anyway, following your advice I uninstalled Spotify, deleted the intermediate files, made sure that my Fedora installation was pukka by doing
yum --releasever=19 distro-sync --assumeyes
...and then ran the Spotify installer script from this thread.
This time everything works as it should.
Many thanks for your help.
+ /usr/bin/rm -rf /home/jsanders/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/spotify-client-0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-3.fc19.x86_64
That does not remove the rpm, just the temporary build directory 🙂
Isn't /home/jsanders/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/spotify-client-0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-3.fc19.x86_64.rpm there?
I was getting the skin.xml error as well. It looks like spotify no longer uses a symbolic link for the data directory in /usr/lib64/spotify-client. So I recreated it manually as a symbolic link:
[root@localhost ~]# cp /usr/lib64/spotify-client/Data/SpotifyHelper /usr/share/spotify-client/Data/ [root@localhost ~]# cd /usr/lib64/spotify-client/ [root@localhost spotify-client]# rm -Rf Data [root@localhost spotify-client]# ln -s ../../share/spotify-client/Data Data
This fixed it, thanks!
This update is, well, less successful.
Anyway, I have pushed a new version 0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-4 which seems to fix at least some of these problems. Same links and procedure.
You might run into conflict problems when trying to upgrade. If so, just remove the old package before installing the new. This is an old rpm issue when a directory is replaced with a symlink.