Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Solved!

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Current method to install the spotify rpm is based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Basically, this automates the process of downloading, building and installing a spotity rpm based on the official Debian packages.

EDIT: Bug reported (page 19), temporary work-around published.

EDIT: New solution based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Old  method deprecated but still available.

EDIT: updated for new upstream release: 0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.1.55.

EDIT: Downgrading procedure to 0.8.4 published

EDIT: Update header to include F19

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.0.133

EDIT: updating link

EDIT: new solution for 0.8.8 published.

223 Replies

@datenzecke wrote:
Are you sure the local paths are up2date? The client does not update them automatically (at least mine), so if you moved your local files into another directory or renamed them, you may have to delete/reindex all "local files"

datenzecke, thank you for your reply.  I can verify that reindexing the files does not fix the problem.

Does local file playback work for you?

Gnah, forget it. It is broken on my system, too. I just did not noticed it because I banned all local media a few weeks ago. However, there was a day it worked but this propably was pre-Fedora 19.

alec,

Thank you for your reply.  And thank you for the many hours of work you have put into packaging Spotify for fedora and writing lpf.  I have benefitted from your hard work.

I have seen your previous comments about how local file playback is broken on linux.  However, I have seen several cases [1,2,3,4] where it seems that people have got it working by installing the proper combination of libraries.  I'm guessing that there are other readers of this thread who would be interested to find out if there is such a combination that works for F19.

I certainly have several applications installed that can play local files, if that's all I want to do.

One of the best things about Spotify, for me at least, is the access to a worldwide library of curated playlists and the ability to stream the music.  By default, Spotify scans your Music folder to build up a local library of music.  Then, when you are playing a playlist, if the requested song is in the local library, the local file is played instead of streamed.  This is reasonable behavior.  However, since local playback is broken, the playlist will just stop.  This is annoying.

There is a simple workaround.  Go into preferences, and under Local Files, uncheck the boxes that tell Spotify which folders belong to the local library.  Now that the local library is empty, the playlist won't stop for the broken local playback issue.  However, the cost is that you have to download bits that already exist locally.  This inefficiency is unsatisfying, and is the reason why I am looking for a better solution.  Electrons may be cheap, but they're not free.

Best regards,

Jon

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/spotify#Installation_of_Linux_Client

[2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1870376

[3] http://www.webupd8.org/2011/12/how-to-install-native-spotify-linux.html

[4] http://xkahn.zoned.net/blog/2011/08/01/spotify/

@leamas wrote:

As parbo stated in [1], local playback in general and in particular for mp3 files  is broken.

On Linux, alternatives like rhytmbox, banshee or songbird are actually superior to spotify for this purpose.

Sorry to bring bad news,

--alec.

[1] http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Linux-Spotify-0-8-8-for-GNU-Linux/td-p/23...

Hm... thanks for interesting post, especially the Archlinux reference. (the others are from 2011, so...).

A simple shot in the dark: have you installed the ffmpeg-compat package? If not, does the situation improve after installing it?

--alec

alec,

I did not have ffmpeg-compat installed.  I installed it.  The linux client is able to play back local files now.  That seems to be the critical library.

Many thanks!

-Jon

So, we have a bug. Thanks for reporting! I will update the package soonish, but unfortunately the rpmfusion release process is pretty slow right now (weeks). Until then, for all of out there: to make local playback work do:

# yum install ffmpeg-compat

One more question.  When the package updates, will it have the new "Browse" feature that 
Spotify introduced?

That was added in v0.9.6 - so not until the linux team release a version post 0.9.6 (current is 0.9.4).

You should still be able to access it directly by searching for:
spotify:app:browse

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thank you for the tip, Peter.  That search string gets me there.

Hmm, the ffmpeg-compat trick worked for me previously but just today I've tried to play local files again and it's stopped working. I'm thinking something changed with the updates I installed yesterday (Fedora 19).

Anyone got any ideas?

@fat_kid - Does this topic help at all?

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Solved-Linux-Spotify-0-9-4-no-Local-Files...

Peter

Hm... We need some more input here:

• What os/version are you on?
  • What's your updated version of ffmpeg-compat (rpm -q ffmpeg-compat)
  • what's in it (rpm -ql ffmpeg-compat)

Thanks @peter and @leamas, I don't know what went wrong yesterday but I've got it to work again today.

I uninstalled ffmpeg-compat (ffmpeg-compat-0.6.7-1.fc19.x86_64) yesterday (I unstalled it, installed ffmpeg-compat-0.6.6-9.fc19.x86_64 which seemed to be the previous option offered by the package manager and tried spotify with no difference) and for some reason left it uninstalled.

Today when looking at the thread linked to by @peter I noticed that I didn't have libavdevice.so.52 in my lib dir. So I re-installed ffmpeg-compat, ran ldconfig and started Spotify.

It then started working.

Thanks for your help and suggestions guys.

I had been able to access the Browse page in the Linux desktop version of Spotify by entering the search term Spotify:app:browse.  For the last couple of weeks, this hasn't been working.  The page loading symbol just keeps spinning and spinning.  I've left it loading for hours, but nothing happens.  Has something changed in the last couple of weeks?

Hi,

I've just been trying to get this to work on Centos 6.2 using the spotify make git repo.

I get this error on launch:

10:05:01.990 I [breakpad.cpp:107 ] Registered Breakpad for product: spotify

10:05:01.992 I [translate.cpp:140 ] Reloading language file
Illegal instruction

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Aaron

HI.... looks bad 😞

First, this is about the installler, not the fedora rpm package. The correct thread is here . Please  use that if you want to continue this discussion.

Secondly, this is perhaps due to some dependency resolving which pulls in a bad library version.  Assuming you are making a personal install, the command 'ldd ~/.local/lib/spotify might give a clue. If you provide it I might have  look (please don't paste into  the thread, use pastebin or so).

Third, you really need to see where (in which lib or core spotify) it explodes. If you know this stuff, you can have spotify to generate  core file and use gdb to find out where the error occurs

Cheers!

--alec

The illegal instruction thing has come up before with regards to SSE2 processor capabilities:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Linux-Illegal-Instruction-Client-Crash-Re...

Peter

Probably not actual here. The installer shell wrapper checks for this before invoking spotify (this is also used in the rpm package, and actually does some other tricks)

Hi,

Plain install does not work for me anymor on fedora 20  x86_64 as the 64-bit file seems to be missing on the repository?

Got this in lpf update logs:

Getting http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/spotify-client_0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-1_amd64.... to ./spotify-client_0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-1_amd64.deb
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found

The Spotify app for 64-bit systems has been updated to v0.9.10.14, looks like it is looking for the old files.

Peter

Suggested posts