Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Local files do not play on Ubuntu 16.04 [SOLVED]

Solved!

[Linux] Local files do not play on Ubuntu 16.04 [SOLVED]

Hi, I have installed ubuntu-restricted-extras, ffmpeg, libavcodec, livavutil, libavformat, zenity but doesn't work.

😕

1. Your device and operating system: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz × 4, 4GB, 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
  2. Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Free
  3. The app version of Spotify you’re using: 1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce
  4. Brief description of the issue: Local files do not play on Ubuntu 16.04

Spotify finds the songs, but don't play and close the app. 

=======================================================

Solved after read this post: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Can-t-play-local-files-with-current-...

So, I decided publish the solution.

1º) Install some packs: ubuntu-restricted-extras, ffmpeg, libavcodec, livavutil, libavformat, zenity.

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras ffmpeg libavcodec-extra libavcodec-extra57 libavutil55 libavformat57 zenity -y

New version to packs: libavformat57 libavcodec-extra57 libavcodec-extra libavutil55 

2º) Download some archives: (I put all in the github repository)

--> Download the package: https://github.com/ramedeiros/spotify_libraries/archive/master.zip

Or direct from the terminal: 

git clone https://github.com/ramedeiros/spotify_libraries.git

3º) Put all the files in to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ with root privileges.

cd spotify_libraries
sudo cp lib* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

4º) Execute: ldconfig

sudo ldconfig

5º) If show any problem with link, make new links.

e.g.: "/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavutil.so.52 it's not a symbolic link"

So, execute command:

sudo ln -frs /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavutil.so.52.6.100 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavutil.so.52
sudo ln -frs /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavformat.so.54.36.100 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavformat.so.54
sudo ln -frs /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavcodec.so.54.71.100 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavcodec.so.54

And so on...

36 Replies

Thank you so much, this worked perfectly! Mint 18.1 here. 😄

It worked! 

I'm on Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon. The libraries libavcodec, livavutil, libavformat were not provided by apt-get, so step 1 was not complete, but it worked by doing the rest anyway. 

Thanks! 

Thank you, ramedeiros! This resolved my issue.

Thank you so much ! İt worked.

⚠ I personnally consider this hacky solution very dangerous. It breaks the package manager model and may lead to system errors and inconsistencies. In particular, the behavior is undefined whenever codec packages get updated. Spotify should provide a clean solution for this instead!

The kernel won't upgrade. Not certain whether it is spotify related or not. Does anyone have similar issues?

Screenshot from 2017-01-27 22-59-49.png

😄 thx bud!! welcome!!

A long time I post this solution and I dont know if "all packs" are ok. If you have a best solution, please post here!! Thks bud!!
Marked as solution

Easier solution. It works on Ubuntu 16.10 and 17.04 as well. Make sure you copy the entire lines: https://github.com/olejon/spotcommander/wiki/LocalFiles

And COME ON Spotify, 16.04 is almost a year old!

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Thank you so much! After so much time i can listen to my local files again 🙂

I just wanted to thank you for finding this and everyone else who contributed to this thread.

I was on the brink of extracting hair from my skull before I found this. Thankfully my scalp reamins warm and that's all thanks to this thread 🙂

Same problem exists in Ubuntu 17.04 (I'm using Kubuntu). Thankfully, olejon's answer worked like a charm! Thank you!

Worked perfectly!! Thanks for sharing! 

Best regards

I have updated my post. It also works on Ubuntu 16.10 and 17.04.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Still work well ! 

It says /user/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavutil.so.52: No such file or directory. What do I do?

thank you so much. that fixed my issue right up. i love the linux community cause it's so underrrated with so much support where as windows it's a headache that you never find out a solution.

Suggested posts