Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Local files not shuffling

[Linux] Local files not shuffling

Screenshot_2016-10-20_22-49-42.png

These are local files in queue, one playlist, randomness is on but as you can see in the picture, there's nothing random about it.

Non-local file shuffle works great, problem is only local files. Continuos re-shuffle doesn't work, it just switches order within same artist, not between all songs.

Have premium account, running Spotify 1.0.38.171.g5e1cd7b2 on Ubuntu 16.04 64bit.

Any solution?

7 Replies

Hello @user-removed,

That looks interesting. 🙂

@jooon any clues what can cause that? : )

I don't understand the question fully. I am guessing this is more about how our queue and shuffle function is confusing, but I might be wrong.

The screenshot looks like it is from Local files view, not a playlist. When you toggle shuffle, this view, like playlists, artist pages, album pages, search results, etc. will not change. However, when playing from this view with shuffle and pressing next, the playing track will not go in order, but instead jump around.

If you want to see which order things are shuffled, you can click the play queue icon to the left of the shuffle icon. There you will usually see two sections, with two headings

Current Song

Next Songs

If you click shuffle back and forth, the list under Next Songs will toggle between being in same order as they were in the view you started played and a new shuffled order that for me is very different from what you describe. It switches between all songs, not just within artists.

There is another section in this view as well called Queued Songs. It will appear directly after Current Song, before Next Songs

Current Song

Queued Songs

Next Songs

Things end up in Queued Songs after you mark tracks, right click and select Add to Queue.

Things end up in Current Song and Next Songs when press a play button somewhere or double click a track row. The track you clicked ends up in Current Song and the tracks after in Next Songs.

When you toggle shuffle, only the order of the tracks in Next Songs change. The tracks in Queued Songs stay the same. The decision to add a new section called Queued Songs before Next Songs and play that list before beginning Next Songs and only have shuffle for the tracks in Next Songs was taken years ago, but we argued back and forth about advantages and drawbacks. It doesn't have to be like this and can of course be changed.

That's queue screenshot, couldn't fit "play queue" title in to show problem, small screen.

I just added two artists from local files to playlist, and played it. it ends up like this in queue. first artist -> second artist-> first artist -> etc. pressing randomize button randomizes songs within an artist only, not between all songs

Ok, thanks, then I understand a bit more, but I can't reproduce it here. It shuffles between all songs, not within an artist only for me.

It does however almost generate the same shuffle order every time I press shuffle. There are only a few variations. For instance, if I have six tracks from the same album from one artist and six tracks from another album from another artist in a playlist, and I start playing the first track in the playlist, the last track in the shuffled order is always the same. But I noticed the same thing with spotify tracks that are not local.

Non local files at least shuffle between artists, in my local problem 12 songs from artist are followed by 12 songs from second artist, and so only in different order within each artists songs

there has been like three updates for spotify on Linux since this topic was created, unfortunetly no changes in this problem

What. The. ****.

I'm on Windows and I'm having this issue. Why is this still a problem? Why can't spotify seem to fix these seemingly simple bugs?

Suggested posts