Linux: Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it.

Highlighted

Linux: Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it.

Operating System

Linux (Slackware-current)

Spotify Version

My Question or Issue

When I try to play and import local .mp3 files in spotify, I keep getting the error

Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Lots of other people have complained about this in the past and none of the solutions I was able to find work for me.  Restarting or clearing the spoltify cache for the local files does not solve it.

Dependent on how the client is written, there might be many places where things are probably going wrong. It is completely not clear if spotify relies on pulseaudio or ALSA or what are the required versions of other 3rd party dynamic libraries. Some other users were suggesting that a specific version of the ffmpeg package is needed, but that version is now actually outdated. Also not clear if spotify requires 32-bit compatible system or pure 64-bit system is fine.

Does anyone know the answers to these questions? Additionally, is there a way to launch spotify in debug mode from the console so that I can at least see some more informative debug messages which might give me a clue what is going wrong(rather than the useless message above)?

1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Linux: Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import i

Roadie

Well, as you may know, the solution for Arch is to install "ffmpeg-compat-57" package. It has versions 57 of libavcodec, libavdevice, etc. The full list here: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ffmpeg-compat-57/

So, in theory, you can get similar libraries on slackware.

SUGGESTED POSTS