Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Tray icon missing in Gnome --> Have to kill Spotify process manually every time

Solved!

[Linux] Tray icon missing in Gnome --> Have to kill Spotify process manually every time

Hello guys, 

I am currently running the Spotify Client 0.9.17 (even though I installed 1:0.9.17 from the package manager). 

Since the last one or two updates the tray icon in the top has gone missing and when I close the Spotify window, the music continues playing as it should. (My picture shows working tray icons using a gnome extension) When I am finished listening I always have to end the Spotify processes manually which is quite annoying.

Should I opt for the 0.9.17 version from my package manager? Is there any workaround? 

Thanks in advance!! 

Spotify-tray-icon.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @Lippdo,

So after digging into the issue for hours, here is the answe to the question.

Spoiler
The tray icon is a bit trickier; in the 0.9.x client we got this from QT, which is no longer used in the 1.x client. We are currently evaluating how to best re-implement this feature.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hello @Lippdo and welcome to Spotify Community ! : )

You can download latest version from here : 

http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/

For amd64 architecture 

wget http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/spotify-client_1.0.14.124.g4dfabc51_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i spotify-client_1.0.14.124.g4dfabc51_amd64.deb

For i386 architecture

wget http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/spotify-client_1.0.14.122.gf29d9be0_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i spotify-client_1.0.14.122.gf29d9be0_i386.deb

Now your Spotify should be up to date. Let me know if the issue with the tray icon persists or if you run into problems : )

Thanks for the quick answer, @Dreadlord!

When I close the Spotify window the music stops as well, so my biggest problem is gone, thx 😄

Sadly, the tray icon is still missing :(, but I can live with that.  

Hey @Lippdo,

I am not currently on my linux machine, but you can check preferences ( control + P ) for something like this:

tray

or you can try adding the following line to your prefs file :

ui.minimize_to_tray=true

I guess the switch should be below the point "Window Behaviour". 

Adding your line to the prefs didn't change anything 😞 

I'm now deleting all config files and reinstalling it completely, maybe something got corrupted 

Spotify-window-behaviour.png

Hey,

If you have any success, let me know.

Meanwhile, I am setting my VB to see how we can solve this 😛

Ok, sadly it didn't work. 

The Part below "Window behaviour" is still empty.

I'm running Ubuntu 15.04 Gnome 3.14, in case you need it for your VB

Hey! is it a 64bit edition right? What video card do you have? what drivers? Do you have this problem in other apps? 

Yeah, its a 64bit machine and the 64bit Spotify Client.

I don't have a video card, my PC is using an Intel Celeron CPU, which also functions as GPU.

I installed the proprietary Intel drivers today, via their official driver installer.

However, as you can see in the original post, Spotify is the only application which is missing the tray icon. Telegram, Skype and Redshift are working perfectly.
Marked as solution

Hello @Lippdo,

So after digging into the issue for hours, here is the answe to the question.

Spoiler
The tray icon is a bit trickier; in the 0.9.x client we got this from QT, which is no longer used in the 1.x client. We are currently evaluating how to best re-implement this feature.

Thanks for all the work @Dreadlord !!

Nice to hear that it is worked on, even if it takes some time !!

I'm quite fine with the Client, since I can now close it and don't have to kill the processes manually, so again thanks for your help !

Is there any reason why the newest version doesn't land in the Ubuntu PPA ?

Hey @Lippdo,

I can see that the Ubuntu PPA is providing only latest stable version ( currently 1.0.9 ). To install it, you need to run : 

sudo apt-get install spotify-client-qt spotify-client-gnome-support

Cheers : )

You just saved my day with: (Looks like it did not lol...spotify is re-writing that prefs and ignoring that variable)

ui.minimize_to_tray=true

Looks like the last version on Debian 9 has issues in showing up that menu...

Thank you!

Suggested posts