Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Songs Not Available

Local Songs Not Available

Anytime I try to play a local song on Spotify, I get the blue banner saying the song is not available. Other songs play just fine, but if I go to the Local Songs list and hit play I see it rapid-fire cycling through, skipping every song until it's exhausted them all.

I have already searched for solutions, but none have worked. Spotify is updated. I have tried switching everything off in Preferences and then adding them again. I have tried restarting the program and my computer. I've even tried deleting my user data in ~/.config/spotify/Users, which worked until I turned the computer off (and it's not feasible to keep doing that, because that also means having to redownload my entire library).

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Or barring that, any suggestions for other music services which actually allow local playback?

4 Replies

The reason it doesn't work is probably because of a missing library. Spotify version 1.0.69 and older requires libavcodec54 or older. Spotify version 1.0.70 and later requires libavcodec56 or older. Try the snap version instead.

sudo apt remove spotify-client
snap install spotify

Thanks for getting back to me.

I forgot to mention that I'm on Arch. I was using libavcodec53 with Spotify version 1.0.69, no go. I actually updated my system since then, and am currently using libavcodec57.

So, follow-up questions: Will the libavcodec57 break the Spotify snap? And is there any chance that 1.0.70 and beyond will be made available outside the snap architecture? (I suppose that last sort of relates to this topic as well).

Installing libavcodec57 will not break the Spotify snap.

1.0.70 is also available as a debian package.

I've installed 1.0.70 via the debian and as a snap. No change -- still can't play local songs.

Suggested posts