Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files - limitations?

Local files - limitations?

Hi,

as of the latest Spotify version, Local files are apparently handled in a different manner...

If I understand correctly, rather than as before dragging & dropping songs/folders into the interface, you now instead designate sources in "Preferences". Right?

So, I have to reassign my Local files in the new way, which is ok.

However, it made me think, why not just assign my whole song library as a source?

I tried that out, and now after 4 hours Spotify has managed to add around 20,000 songs. My total is 27,000 (stored on NAS in home network).

Here are a few questions about this:

1. Is this a reasonable way of approaching this? (just adding my whole local library)
  2. Does this sound like a reasonable amount of time? (4 hours for 20,000 songs)
  3. Is there a limitation for how many Local files Spotify can handle?
  4. If a certain song is both in Spotify AND among my Local files, which one takes precedence?

thanks in advance  /Tommy

1 Reply

Hi, Tommy!

Adding your whole library like that could be a reasonable way, if your iTunes library doesn't make it entirely into Spotify;

It took almost as long as that for Spotify to add my own songs (about 21,000 according to the app), so I'd say so. Spotify wasn't really made as a local file player, so I'd expect it to be somewhat slower in terms of scanning;

The FAQ says there's no limits to local files, so no;

That's a bit of a gamble. Usually, Spotify will notice that you have the same song on your hard drive and note it with an icon beside the album name. It must have something to do with matching metadata, and if something is off on Spotify's end, it won't recognize the song you've saved and will stream the song on its library.

Suggested posts