Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Massive memory leak under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Massive memory leak under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Plan

Premium

Country

USA 

Device

Intel E5-1650v4 Xeon custom built home workstation

Operating System

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit

My Question or Issue

After updating my system over the weekend (on 06/09/2018), I found by Wednesday (06/13/2018) Spotify was eating up 31.6 GBs of RAM.  As it was installed as a Snap, I switched over to direct debian package install last night (also Wednesday) with the latest package and found by the morning (Thursday) it has already gone above 6.6 GB residential and 12.7 GB virtual.  I did not notice this issue before and this is a system that is always on, so this massive memory leak must be fairly new.  The main reason for bringing the system down was to do the yearly flush of the custom loop liquid cooling system.

7 Replies

I'm experiencing the same issue on Ubuntu 16.04.

I am using mint 18.3 and I am using spotify as a remote for my phone and it will fill all available ram. This makes spotify unuseable and should be fixed.

wtf-spotify.png

Currently on linux mint 19 (Ubuntu 18.04)

spotify-7gb.png

Same problem on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Spotify was taking >8Gb of RAM.

Not super helpful but I'm running on a nearly fresh install of Lubuntu 18.04.1, without any issues. Seems to use about 770-800 MB of RAM fluctuates up ~30 MB when it's buffering music.

i have noticed this too when multiple Spotify processes are in the background. it doesn't happen every time, though.

I have upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and see the same problem.  Makes me wonder if it is a problem with a 3rd party module they are using as I have read elsewhere, if they really can't fix the module, what about periodically reloading it?  With my Google Chrome browser tabs I have to periodically do this anyway as they reach their preset resource limit and crash it seems.  It is not too much trouble and it is usually easy enough to pick up where I left off.  (I make specific mention of this as I have heard it is the same rendering engine Spotify is having problems with.)  Granted fixing at the source of the issue would be ideal, but we do not live in an ideal world.

Suggested posts