Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No internet connection detected (error code: 4) on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Solved!

No internet connection detected (error code: 4) on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Plan: Premium

Country: Hungary but in working hours I'm using big corporate network with various internet outbreak countries (different proxies)

Device: Intel dekstop PC

Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Spotify version: Spotify version 1.1.42.622.gbd112320, Copyright (c) 2020, Spotify Ltd

I just removed Spotify installed previously from snap and then reinstalled Spotify from package. Now  I see this error message when I start Spotify: "no internet connection detected. Spotify will automatically try to reconnect when it detects an internet connection (error code: 4)"

I have tried to delete ~/.config/spotify directory but did not help.

Interestingly on my other PC I can use spotify (same version and same OS but maybe with slightly different config) and the wrong Spotify instance can see that on the another instance I'm listening the music and I can control that PC too.

Some logs from Spotify run from bash is attached.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

After studying previously attached logs in a detailed manner, I found below line. I suspected Spotify gets back DISCONNECTED status from Network Manager as there is no connected network managed by Network Manager. So I checked what if Network Manager manages my wired network like it does with WiFi which is almost always disconnected.

I changed NetPlan to not configure my network but delegate it to Network Manager, then rebooted my PC. After the reboot Network Manager started to manage wired network and Spotify detected Internet connection properly.

So now all works fine..

So just a question/proposal for the Spotify team: why you check both Network Manager via dbus as well as check latency independently? Latency check was work despite on the error message stated no internet connection. Why you check Network Manager at all while a simple ping to spotify.com or whatever would be enough and would work on all the PCs. So here is some room to improve an otherwise great application I love to use few years ago 🙂

08:27:41.436 I [nm_network_notifier.cpp:257 ] Return current state of NetworkManager on request (current state is 'NM_STATE_DISCONNECTED')

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

After studying previously attached logs in a detailed manner, I found below line. I suspected Spotify gets back DISCONNECTED status from Network Manager as there is no connected network managed by Network Manager. So I checked what if Network Manager manages my wired network like it does with WiFi which is almost always disconnected.

I changed NetPlan to not configure my network but delegate it to Network Manager, then rebooted my PC. After the reboot Network Manager started to manage wired network and Spotify detected Internet connection properly.

So now all works fine..

So just a question/proposal for the Spotify team: why you check both Network Manager via dbus as well as check latency independently? Latency check was work despite on the error message stated no internet connection. Why you check Network Manager at all while a simple ping to spotify.com or whatever would be enough and would work on all the PCs. So here is some room to improve an otherwise great application I love to use few years ago 🙂

08:27:41.436 I [nm_network_notifier.cpp:257 ] Return current state of NetworkManager on request (current state is 'NM_STATE_DISCONNECTED')

I'm seeing a slightly similar problem on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. What I've discovered
is that when Spotify think's I'm disconnected, NetworkManager thinks
network connectivity is "limited". This shows as the network icon in
the SysTray being replaced by a question mark, it basically means that
my LAN connectivity should work, but not Internet as such. However, my
Internet connectivity is just fine. When NetworkManager finally finds
out that the Internet connectivity indeed is fine, it changes its
SysTray icon back to the network icon. When that happens, Spotify also
starts working again.

NetworkManager is really just a thin shim on top of systemd here, so I
suspect a (one or more) bug(s) in the latter. (What a surprise...)

There is a command, nmcli, which regular users can run, that among
other things can check networking connectivity. When you run it as
"nmcli networking connectivity" it reports what NetworkManager (and
thus systemd) thinks is the status, it says "limited" when Spotify
doesn't work and "full" when it does.

When you run it as "nmcli networking connectivity check" it performs a
full re-check of the connectivity. If it thought it was "limited" it
will usually return to "full" as a side effect of performing the
check, so running "mcli networking connectivity check" in a shell
makes your Spotify work again.

Suggested posts