Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Opening song share link results in "Something went wrong" which persists across reload and restart

Opening song share link results in "Something went wrong" which persists across reload and restart

Debian + Spotify 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819

Any share link I open results in chrome asking if I want to use xdg-open, which results in a new spotify window opening with the "Something went wrong; try reloading the page" dialog.  Reloading doesn't help

This persists even if I restart the client.  If I start it in the console I get:

[libprotobuf ERROR ../core/vendor/protobuf3/src/google/protobuf/wire_format_lite.cc:577] String field 'spotify.event_sender.proto.DroppedEvents.DroppedEventsBySequenceIdEntry.key' contains invalid UTF-8 data when parsing a protocol buffer. Use the 'bytes' type if you intend to send raw bytes.

So, somehow an invalid protobuf is getting persisted.  Blowing away the cache fixes the issue:

rm -r ~/.cache/spotify

So, opening songs from share links is broken for me.  There may also be a systematic issue here with error handling, IMHO this shouldn't break the whole client.

Example share link that reproduces this issue: https://open.spotify.com/track/6gZhmhlrI2fBKWzcEgCIOw?si=44d27687df9d489d&nd=1

3 Replies

This just happened to me on a different computer.  However, in that case spotify was installed via snapcraft on ubuntu and so the path to the cache is different.  Fixed via:

> rm -r ~/snap/spotify/common/.cache

Beyond the specific protobuf deserialization issue there is a systemic problem here - it should be resilient to all errors involved in reading the cache (if blowing it away fixes the problem, then this should be done automatically)

Same issue on latest Spotify version installed on Debian via apt after adding source.list.

Looks like this is fixed in more recent versions.  For me the stable version of the spotify snap on ubuntu was quite old, though.  From running "snap info spotify":

channels:
latest/stable: 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819 2022-04-27 (60) 177MB -
latest/candidate: 1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d 2023-03-30 (63) 164MB -
latest/beta: ↑
latest/edge: 1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d 2023-03-30 (63) 164MB -
installed: 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819 (60) 177MB -

So, running "sudo snap install spotify --channel=latest/candidate" installed a much newer version which no longer has this bug.  Opening things from chrome via xdg-open still doesn't work, but hey.

Suggested posts