Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playliste are not secret as it says

Solved!

Playliste are not secret as it says

Hi guys, just a little problem.

I set my playlists "Secret" (not public) but it still contunue to be viewed by my friends. Why's that?

I'm using Spotify on Linux, and Spotify app on Android.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okay, I have checked, I can confirm you have no publicly displayed playlists. 

However, I can see social activity showing on your profile, which shows you created a playlist on 12-02-2013 which must have been created publically and therefore I can access that playlist through your social feed. It also has 1 follower, so I am guessing this is the playlist you are talking about. Just be sure that you untick the option I pointed out earlier in your preferences and that won't happen again 😉 

If you want to make this playlist dissappear, just untick the public publishing option in your preferences, make a new playlist, copy those tracks into the new playlist and then delete all those tracks from the original playlist, and then delete the playlist. Your account will be completely hidden then.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@guy_guy wrote:

Hi there, I'm having a similar problem. I started a playlist weeks ago, set it to secret and now some fool's subscribed to it. Do I really have to delete it  and start it again to get rid of this guy?

Unfortunatley yes, there is no way to force remove followers. Are you sure it was secret, the only way I can think they would have been able to find it is if they had a direct link to the playlist from your account. 

If you want to delete it, be sure to remove all of the tracks and then delete it, since just deleting it won't actually remove it from the other persons playlists either (it just breaks the tie to your account). 

Peter

Peter

Marked as solution

No such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer 🙂

Menu at the top edit/preferences. You'll find those settings at the top of the preferences page.

19 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Have you only just changed them to be secret? 

If so, anyone who viewed your profile recently whilst they where public, will still be able to see them, since that data is cached for a short period of time in the Spotify client locally on their computer. Also, anyone who is subscribed to your playlist will remain a subscriber even after you change it to secret. 

If you want to, you can send me a PM with a link to your profile (or your Spotify username) and I can view your profile to see what playlists are visible.

Also, if you want all future playlists to be secret, then be sure to untick the "Automatically make new playlists public" option in the Preferences menu of the Spotify client.

Peter

Peter

I've changed them to be secret about a week ago, and yesterday one of my friends subscribed to my privavte playlist.

Anyway, I've sent you a PM with a link to my profile, thank you 🙂

Marked as solution

Okay, I have checked, I can confirm you have no publicly displayed playlists. 

However, I can see social activity showing on your profile, which shows you created a playlist on 12-02-2013 which must have been created publically and therefore I can access that playlist through your social feed. It also has 1 follower, so I am guessing this is the playlist you are talking about. Just be sure that you untick the option I pointed out earlier in your preferences and that won't happen again 😉 

If you want to make this playlist dissappear, just untick the public publishing option in your preferences, make a new playlist, copy those tracks into the new playlist and then delete all those tracks from the original playlist, and then delete the playlist. Your account will be completely hidden then.

Peter

Peter

That's exactly what I did 😄

Thank you, very clear 🙂

@EdOX wrote:

That's exactly what I did 😄

Thank you, very clear 🙂

Just double checked for you, can't see any social activity for the new playlist so you are good to go 😉 

Peter

Peter

Thanks again 🙂

I have almost the opposite problem. I removed the tick from "make new playlist public" in preferences, then wanted to make a single playlist public. So I marked it as public (from my profile). It works, but as soon as I close spotify and I open it again the playlist appears as secret again.

Can't get rid of it, spotify seems to be unable to remember my preference

@Marco_Spelta wrote:

I have almost the opposite problem. I removed the tick from "make new playlist public" in preferences, then wanted to make a single playlist public. So I marked it as public (from my profile). It works, but as soon as I close spotify and I open it again the playlist appears as secret again.

Can't get rid of it, spotify seems to be unable to remember my preference

Is it your starred playlist you are having issues with or another one? 

Peter

Peter

Yes, it's my starred playlist. I would like to keep it public. But everytime I open Spotify it appears as secret, even if I marked it as public during the previous session.

Do you know if this normal?

@Marco_Spelta wrote:

Yes, it's my starred playlist. I would like to keep it public. But everytime I open Spotify it appears as secret, even if I marked it as public during the previous session.

Do you know if this normal?

It is a known issue, don't worry it will remain public unless you specify otherwise (eg. actually click secret). The privacy is just being reported incorrectly in the desktop client. 

Peter

Peter

Thanks for the info! So.....I guess it's a just bug that will be solved one day or another.

Just one further question, it's quite off topic but maybe you know the answer: I have my playlists and my library. When I add a song to one of my playlists or when I star it as favourite, it is automatically added to my library. But, is it possible to add it to my library directly, without including it in a playlist or starring it? It's basically the same thing you can do in iTunes: you fill in your library and then create the playlists. It quite more straight forward

Hi,

You can only add songs to a playlist. I have a junk playlist where everything goes until I decide what I want to do with the tracks in terms of "organisation".

jwylot is correct here. The library function acts as a page to pull in all of your tracks from all of your other sources, whether it is local files or playlists or starred tracks. There is no way to manually add tracks to the library. 

Peter

Peter

This is what a feared. Yes, I already adopted the junk playlist solution as a patch. I do hope that Spotify will allow to add songs directly to the library one day. It really looks the natural way to organize the songs to me.

Thanks to both for your confirmations.

Wish you a nice day,

Marco

Hi there, I'm having a similar problem. I started a playlist weeks ago, set it to secret and now some fool's subscribed to it. Do I really have to delete it  and start it again to get rid of this guy?

Marked as solution

@guy_guy wrote:

Unfortunatley yes, there is no way to force remove followers. Are you sure it was secret, the only way I can think they would have been able to find it is if they had a direct link to the playlist from your account. 

If you want to delete it, be sure to remove all of the tracks and then delete it, since just deleting it won't actually remove it from the other persons playlists either (it just breaks the tie to your account). 

Peter

Peter

Thanks Peter I guess that'll do.

Maybe this is a really stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway because I can't figure it out. Where do I find the Preferences menu on Spotify? I want to untick the "automatically make new playlists public" option.

Marked as solution

No such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer 🙂

Menu at the top edit/preferences. You'll find those settings at the top of the preferences page.

Suggested posts