Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Possibility to change properties with DBus signals

Possibility to change properties with DBus signals

I'm trying to change writable properties like 'Shuffle' with DBus signals like this:

dbus-send --print-reply --session --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set string:org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player string:Shuffle variant:boolean:true

method return time=1643836230.753955 sender=:1.1255 -> destination=:1.1269 serial=41 reply_serial=2

But if I try to access them I can see that no changes were made:

dbus-send --print-reply --session --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get string:org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player string:Shuffle

method return time=1643836363.877634 sender=:1.1255 -> destination=:1.1272 serial=43 reply_serial=2
   variant       boolean false

It also happens with other properties. Executing methods like Play() works fine. Also if I do some changes in Spotify GUI (e.g. turn on shuffle) I can see that these values are correct and change over time. I tried changing it in the GUI with d-feet but same issue occurs. Was it designed this way or is it a bug? Are there any workarounds to change these values?

Ubuntu 21.10
Spotify 1.1.77.643

1 Reply

Linux dev here. The MPRIS implementation was incomplete. Only few days ago the code that concludes the implementation of org.mpris.MediaPlayer2 and org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player (which includes Shuffle) was merged. It should be available in the next preview versions.

Suggested posts