Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Queues clear on restarting Spotify

Queues clear on restarting Spotify

My system crashed earlier today for some reason. Of course I had to restart it. The problem was that I had added about 90+ songs to my Spotify Queue before that, and wasn't even half-through them. I lost the entire queue when I restarted my system and then Spotify.

What kind of ridiculous feature is this? I just started the Queue feature on Spotify recently, and went above and beyond today by queueing up bunch of songs to last the entire day. This is extremely disappointing. 

But the situation with Queue is worse.

You can't add to a Queue if it's empty. Seriously? If the Queue is empty and I add a song to my Queue, it should get added no matter what. I added 30/40 songs and none of them entered my Queue.

Absoultely dissappointing. I was getting so impressed with Spotify that I was ready to go for Premium. Not anymore though.

9 Replies

That is very strange. Have you tried reinstalling? I tried adding a song to my queue and it worked. Maybe when your computer crashed it corrupted something.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Follow me: Google+ | Spotify | Spotify Community

There was probably no chance to create a save point or cache that queue. It probably was just from crashing. After you reinstall, try to add a song. If it does add then close spotify and re-open. Then check to see if the song is there.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

Are you referring to the problem of -

1. Not being able to add any song to the Queue if the Queue is empty?

or

2. Queues clearing away if Spotify is closed and restarted?

I haven't tested them out again since, but I think the Linux version did update, so will check and update soon. WIll do the same on my Windows client as well.

Currently as a workaround, I just add songs to a temporary playlist I created and play that, so that even if something goes wrong I can continue from where I left off. This also helps to move between devices(Windows and Linux, not effective for Android)

I am referring to #2

I experience the same problem on Ubuntu 16.04

I can reproduce it with 'x-kill' tool. (or with hard restart with power button or system crash).

Steps are following:

1. Open spotify.
  2. Start playing "Song 1".
  3. Close application with close button.
  4. Open spotify again.
  5. Click "next" button for the "Song 2".
  6. Kill Spotify by x-kill tool.
  7. Open spotify.

Expect:

Current song is "Song 2"

Found:

Current song is "Song 1"

It seems, that Spotify save current queue and song when application closes (by closing window or turn of computer, using operating system).

So, I suggest you to save playing queue state more frequently. For example, on new queue creation and update current song, when new song starts. It seems not to be very expensive operation, but you will have more precise state.

I have just been working with my workaround I posted above - have a separate playlist where I add songs I want to listen to and after listening to them I add them to my main playlist if I like them. That is far more convenient for me right now than queues can possibly ever be. I use queues for more temporary listenings. 

It's too complicated 🙂

Nope, it's not.

Better and easier than losing a queue with over 200 songs I have discovered across the internet at any given point. Syncs across devices without complications. And don't have to worry about "saving a queue" as you mention, which I have no idea what that means.

So, to each their own 🙂

Spotify - is an application. And it must automate manual operation. But it doesn't.
And this situation - is a bug. Or misdesign, unexpected use-case. And it could be fixed only by changing application code.
So, I want to inform spotify developers or QA about this bug.

Suggested posts