Recent linux client update changes

Re: Recent linux client update changes

capricorn86
Casual Listener

Thanks for the great work! Works perfectly for me.

briardew

Could you please provide an install option for people that aren't superusers?

The recent web-browser "upgrades" require a system upgrad I cannot make, and I can't install the player w/o superuser privledges.  So I cannot listen to Spotify on this machine, where I spend a majority of my time.  If this isn't fixed, I'll have to cancel my account.

1 person liked this

notrabbitears
Casual Listener
If it's a work computer, I'd recommend just talking to your sysadmin because it's most likely going to be preferable to not run outdated software on your machine. If it's a personal computer, ask whoever has root privileges for your machine?
1 person liked this

JSJB
Regular

If you download the debian package to a directory you own on that machine, you can unpack the contents with:

ar xv spotify-client_....deb

There will be a /usr/bin directory under there with the script that launches spotify.

Adjust the paths, if needed, to work relative to your directory instead of / and you should be able to run this version of spotify for yourself, without installing globally.

Denis_Leger

Please note that in your new version, the HiDPI fix should be applied to a different desktop file.

The file file which needs to be amended is now: /usr/local/share/applications/spotify.desktop

Instead of:

/usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

The fix in the file remains the same:

add: --force-device-scale-factor=x to the Exec line of the file, where x is the scaling factor.

Exec=spotify --force-device-scale-factor=2 %U

Thank you for supporting Spotify for Linux,

3 people liked this

DarkAvenger36
Casual Listener

This issue is still present on Linux client: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Desktop-Podcast-shortcut-gone-in-ver-1-0-94-262-g3d5...

When will the updated version be released?

Highlighted

dnsglk

Thanks for a hint. I just downloaded http://repository-origin.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/spotify-client_1.0.94.262.g3d5c2...

and there is only ELF which works out of box, even w/o tweaking paths.

Peace

RJVB
Casual Listener

Somehow that version was pushed through my apt update channel only yesterday. On Ubuntu 14.04 it crashes immediately.

I managed to the spotify snap on my system (and then uninstall snapd, systemd and cgroup stuff to get my system to boot normally again >:-( ).

I can run the version from the snap against the system libraries so it looks like the official .deb package just has a glitch somewhere (or doesn't yet have a patch which is already present in the snap version).

tokkopako
Casual Listener

Could you elaborate how to do this or maybe provide the package? I'm currently trying to get spotify working on i386 machine.

capricorn86
Casual Listener

I would also like to say my thanks. I would not be using Spotify if it wasn't for the great Linux support. Keep up the good work!

SUGGESTED POSTS