Recent linux client update changes

Re: Recent linux client update changes

capricorn86

Thanks for the great work! Works perfectly for me.

briardew

Could you please provide an install option for people that aren't superusers?

The recent web-browser "upgrades" require a system upgrad I cannot make, and I can't install the player w/o superuser privledges.  So I cannot listen to Spotify on this machine, where I spend a majority of my time.  If this isn't fixed, I'll have to cancel my account.

notrabbitears
Casual Listener
If it's a work computer, I'd recommend just talking to your sysadmin because it's most likely going to be preferable to not run outdated software on your machine. If it's a personal computer, ask whoever has root privileges for your machine?

JSJB
Regular

If you download the debian package to a directory you own on that machine, you can unpack the contents with:

ar xv spotify-client_....deb

There will be a /usr/bin directory under there with the script that launches spotify.

Adjust the paths, if needed, to work relative to your directory instead of / and you should be able to run this version of spotify for yourself, without installing globally.

Denis_Leger

Please note that in your new version, the HiDPI fix should be applied to a different desktop file.

The file file which needs to be amended is now: /usr/local/share/applications/spotify.desktop

Instead of:

/usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

The fix in the file remains the same:

add: --force-device-scale-factor=x to the Exec line of the file, where x is the scaling factor.

Exec=spotify --force-device-scale-factor=2 %U

Thank you for supporting Spotify for Linux,

SUGGESTED POSTS