Recent linux client update changes

Re: Recent linux client update changes

JSJB
Music Fan

@tokkopako wrote:

Could you elaborate how to do this or maybe provide the package? I'm currently trying to get spotify working on i386 machine.

Not sure exactly what you're referring to, but if it's regarding my post from

JSJB Regular ‎2018-07-22 11:41 PM  to create a spotify package independent of libcurl3 package:

1. create a tmp directory named spotify client

2.  ar xvf  <orig spotify-client package>    # will create subdirs DEBIAN and usr

3. extract contents of orig libcurl3 package to:

spotify-client => /bin/ls usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/spotify/
libcurl.so.3 libcurl.so.4 libcurl.so.4.5.0

4.  create the script spotify.sh in usr/share/spotify/spotify.sh

#!/bin/bash -x
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/spotify
exec /usr/share/spotify/spotify

[/usr/bin/spotify will be a symlink to this script]

5. edit DEBIAN/control with a new version for your spotify-client

6. run  debuild to build your new spotify-client debian package, which will now include a private copy of the libcurl3 library and a script that makes spotify use that instead of libcurl4.

Further details on creating your own debian package:

https://debian-administration.org/article/336/Rolling_your_own_Debian_packages_part_1

krikelin
Community Legend

I think you could bless the Linux users if you could open source the linux client (but preserve the proprierty core)

tokkopako
Regular
Thanks for the instructions though I used dpkg-deb to extract and build the packages as I was more familiar with it. I still faced a problem: Despite setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH Spotify still tries to seek CURL_OPENSSL_3 from libcurl.so.4 in the normal library path. Any idea how to get around it?

JSJB
Music Fan
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/spotify

@tokkopako wrote:
... Despite setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH Spotify still tries to seek CURL_OPENSSL_3 from libcurl.so.4 in the normal library path. Any idea how to get around it?

Did you export LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as above, and set it to just that one dir?

I didn't have any problem with this. Perhaps there's another setting to find the shared libraries that I'm not using in my system but maybe yours is.

tokkopako
Regular

Did you export LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as above, and set it to just that one dir?

I didn't have any problem with this. Perhaps there's another setting to find the shared libraries that I'm not using in my system but maybe yours is.

Yes, I copied the script straight from your post. Even tried typing it manually before the command and launching spotify without the script but no luck. Just to be sure, could you tell your spotify version?

JSJB
Music Fan
I made my changes off the 1:1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73-35  spotify-client version.
CCan you check your shared library path to see how this is finding libcurl4?

FFrom the ld.so man page:

o Using the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH, unless the executable is being run in secure-execution mode (see below), in which case this vari-
able is ignored.

=> apt-cache policy spotify-client spotify-client: Installed: 1:1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73-35-js Candidate: 1:1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73-35-js Version table: *** 1:1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73-35-js 400 400 copy:/usr3/Installs/DEB ./ Packages 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status 1:1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73-35 500 500 http://repository.spotify.com stable/non-free i386 Packages 500 http://repository.spotify.com testing/non-free i386 Packages

tokkopako
Regular

Alright, case closed. I was stupid and downloaded amd64 package for libcurl3. Now to build a new package which hopefully works... Thanks for the help!

RJVB
Regular
You mean you are actually building the client from source?

If so: if ever you notice that LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't have the intended effect for a given library, find out what component(s) link to that library and then make certain that those are linked with the `--enable-new-dtags` flag. That should be the default nowadays but surprises are possible.

tokkopako
Regular

@RJVB wrote:
You mean you are actually building the client from source?

No, just extracting the package contents and then adding libcurl3 to the mix and bash script to point to the libcurl3 and putting the package back together. Could be done manually in the system folders but this makes it easier to handle if one needs to update or remove it later.

SalCaFrank
Casual Listener

good morning! I'm new here and i have a problem with Spotify.    

I can't find a version avalaible for my ubuntu 18.10, 32 bit.    

How i can fix this?   

Please help me!

SUGGESTED POSTS