Redistribute Spotify on Linux Distributions

Re: Redistribute Spotify on Linux Distributions

Rising Star 10 ArtGravity
Rising Star 10

@jessestryker wrote:

Please make Spotify officially available for Linux!

Spotify is officially available for Linux. Snap apps run on essentially every Linux distribution and the Spotify snap app has been the official Linux application for over a year. I switched from the .deb package to the snap app shortly after it came out. It works great and it keeps itself up to date without any user intervention required. It really is as simple as typing 'snap install spotify' and Spotify will be available on your Linux desktop.

If your distribution doesn't ship with snapd installed, Snapcraft has a document that provides directions on installing snapd on over dozen (currently 19) different distributions. https://docs.snapcraft.io/installing-snapd/6735

ArtGravityRising Star 10
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

mr_felixoid
Regular
Could you, please, read the first message in the topic and stop to offer
the snap, which is the same binary problem?

Rising Star 10 ArtGravity
Rising Star 10

@mr_felixoid wrote:
Could you, please, read the first message in the topic and stop to offer
the snap, which is the same binary problem?

I read the OP back when it was fresh. It made as little sense then as it does now. I've tried to offer useful suggestions to people who want to listen to Spotify on Linux. The app doesn't somehow magically work any better because it shipped in your distro versus being installed as a snap app.

Making the app officially available as a snap was a huge benefit for everyone not using a Debian derived OS. It has allowed me to enjoy my Spotify account on my OpenSUSE machines as well as my Debian and Ubuntu boxes. With proprietary software, that really is the best you can hope for.

ArtGravityRising Star 10
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

mr_felixoid
Regular

"proprietary software"

Exactly, this is an issue. And neither spoiling a system with the snap nor
repacking a deb into a proper package (which is done in
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/spotify/) aren't solution. And this
topic about an open source.

That's it.

"allowed me to enjoy my Spotify account"

Good, but "suffer" is more proper word when we're talking about badly packed electron app with 1GiB ram consumption in the average

somnophobe
Roadie

@ArtGravity -
The primary issue is lack of a clear redistribution policy.  The vast majority of distributions do not include the snap store as a part of their default repositories, nor do they include Spotify's .deb repo in their default repositories.
This is about making Spotify one-click-installable on a fresh installation of a system, effectively allowing distributions to make installing Spotify on linux as easy as it is on the Google Play store.  E.g:
* if I buy a new XPS with Ubuntu, I should be able to install it directly from the software center
* when I reinstall Debian, I should be able to just search "spotify" in synaptic and install it right away

This could be resolved either via the .deb or via the snap (although the .deb is far more likely) with a binary redistribution policy.  That's the only thing that I interpret the OP to be asking for.  We're not even asking Spotify to *do the work* in making it available, just to *allow others to legally do this work themselves*

TWMTLK

Spotify, this is big, please don't ignore this.

chapterzero

I don't mind installing from AUR, but as TS said this will make installation and update simpler for a lot of users.

jecogeo

Hey Guys, have you heard something from spotify? I'll be so happy to have it in the official Arch Repos. 

eltify

Goooosh, c'mon spot. You're starting to look like Nvidia

Over 2,000 voteups and not a single official response.

Spotify is so disappointing =\

SUGGESTED POSTS