Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SOLVED [Linux] Spotify DBus MPRIS2 support not fully working

SOLVED [Linux] Spotify DBus MPRIS2 support not fully working

Hi,

first, thanks for your effort in regurlarly releasing linux builds!

With the recent 1.0 betas the DBus support is back...more or less. But many of the advertised properties can not be retrieved and time out. The only property which is working is "Metadata" (please see the screenshot).

spotify_dbus.png

If I call for example:

qdbus --literal org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player CanControl

I get this:

Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Am I doing something wrong or is this indeed a bug? Thanks for looking into that!

30 Replies

It's working again. I can see the song and album playing, and the buttons work too. My desktop is fully functional now. Thank you very much!

It wasn't obvious for me that I had to change the repository from stable to testing to get the newer versions. I'm using 1.0.28 now.

Thank you very much, it's working again 😄

I didn't have to use the 'testing' repo, just upgrade the default 'stable' repo. Current version is 1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce.

Hi,

I am using release 1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce that should have the issue fixed but OpenUri doesn't start to play the songs in the new playlist..

It just opens up the playlist page on the client and nothing more..

Anything else I could be missing?

Thanks,

@kawamura wrote:

Hi,

I am using release 1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce that should have the issue fixed but OpenUri doesn't start to play the songs in the new playlist..

It just opens up the playlist page on the client and nothing more..

Anything else I could be missing?

Thanks,

1.0.28 has a few DBus issues fixed, mostly around PlaybackStatus and the properties, but unfortunately not all.

The OpenUri function is still broken. It has always called an internal uri opening function. The call to that function has never changed. The behaviour of that internal function has however changed, mostly because it is only used together with the open.spotify.com site on the other platforms.

From 1.0.29 there was another OpenUri regression introduced this way:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Linux-Spotify-client-1-x-now-in-st...

ok, I've moved back to 0.9.4.183-2.

Is there a plan to have openURI fixed?

@kawamura wrote:

ok, I've moved back to 0.9.4.183-2.

Is there a plan to have openURI fixed?

Yep. The behavior is already fixed and will roll out with version 1.0.37 in testing in a few days.

As a workaround before that one is released, you can make it auto play by append track offset time greater than 0 after the track uri. Appending #0:00.001 to the end of a track uri to make it auto play from "almost" the beginning of the track. Only works for tracks though.

With 1.0.37 you should be able to start playing albums, artists, playlists as well. Radio and a few other views still don't work.

1.0.37 is now out in testing

Hey @jooon!

Many thanks for keeping this alive and thriving. Ubuntu is my OS of choice and it's great being able to use Spotify on this device as well.

Keep it up!

Fred

Thanks for the notification jooon.

I confirm OpenUri works as expected. cool!

thanks jooon
but what about Position?
it still only returns 0  

More MPRIS support is on the todo list. Don't know when it will happen though.

Suggested posts