so this was the first thing I tried and when i compared versions they were exactly the same, so it was no surprise they both suffered the same issue when the snap version sig faulted on me :/
honestly, it can be nothing else but a race condition... if you slow your machine down or artificially slow down the app with something like cpulimit, the app usually starts up.. it is completely unusable but it didn't seem to sig fault as often.. the fact that we can't consistently repro it within it self points to a race condition.
there is not much we can do but wait for them to patch it in engineering, or wait for them to open high q in the webclient, i already looked for the old version of the app but they seem to have pulled it
Yes!treepleks 's tip was definetely on the right track.
Managed my way out of the segmentation faults on Ubuntu 19.04 (disco) x64 by installing the latest eoan libs. Just go to https://packages.ubuntu.com/eoan/***** to download the following libs (only amd64 version for most, but both amd64 and i386 for libgnutls30 and libtasn1-6): libcurl3-gnutls, libgnutls28-dev, libgnutls30 (amd64 and i386), libgnutls-dane0, libgnutls-openssl27, libgnutlsxx28, libtasn1-6 (amd64 and i386), libtasn1-6-dev Just 'sudo dpkg -i lib*' on the folder you've downloaded those and spotify should load without any SegFaults!
Here's some commands you can run real quick to fix it (taken from 0x783czar on another thread, but this is the first result on google so I figure I'll add it here to help save people some time):
Also running Pop_OS! here (19.04). Using some of the earlier posts I got it working after doing the following. If the last command doesn't work, run 'apt --fix-broken install' and try the last command again. After doing this it started working for me!
The reason for this is, as far as I understand it, is that there is a missing patch in the libcurl3-gnutls package in Ubuntu based distributions. However Debian has patched their version of the package. And so installing their version of the package (and its needed dependencies) will get it working."
It should work right out of the box, but just in case it might be useful to run aptitude install -f.
(If you don't know what you're doing, don't do that!).
PS: If this happens again to anyone, just follow the links, remove the filename from the URL and look in the list a file with the same name but with newer versions (i.e. bigger numbers in the last part). Don't try to jump to the last available version, just go to the immediate newer version.