Premium (Family)

Country

Norway

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Ubuntu 18.17

My Question or Issue

My Spotify client on Ubuntu keeps resetting the audio settings, preventing me from listening to "extreme quality" and sound which is not "normalized". Why is this?! Using another option than "extreme quality" and playing "normalized" audio is something I would NEVER do by myself! Is this done on purpose in order to save bandwidth/costs?

2 Replies

On a related note, Spotify playlist details are not synced. If you make a change, it will show the change, but next time you load Spotify, the old details will show. This is a pain if you use Spotify to copy and paste details from old to new playlists.

My Spotify client on Ubuntu keeps resetting the audio settings, preventing me from listening to "extreme quality" and sound which is not "normalized". Why is this?! Using another option than "extreme quality" and playing "normalized" audio is something I would NEVER do by myself! Is this done on purpose in order to save bandwidth/costs?

Settings are not written to disk directly, when you change them. I don't know when exactly, but I know that it happens at least when the client shuts down.

My guess is that there is a bug in the client that makes it crash when you shut it down and the crash happens before the settings are saved. It is not really visible, because you meant to close it anyway, but one way people notice is exactly what you describe, settings are not saved.

If you start the client from the terminal, change settings, then quit, you might see if it crashes with Segmentation fault or something similar when you shut it down. If it does, someone at Spotify needs to reproduce and fix the problem. If it does not, then we have to try something else.

Suggested posts