Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect not working (ubuntu 14.04 + iphone 6)

Solved!

Spotify Connect not working (ubuntu 14.04 + iphone 6)

Hello Spotify team,

I'm having some issues with spotify connect on the linux client. Basically here's my setup:

- an iphone 6 (ios 8.4) that plays music from spotify to airplay speakers

- a laptop running ubuntu 14.04

Both devices run the latest spotify app (from apple appstore on the phone, spotify repository on the laptop) and are connected to the same wifi network. I used to be able to see and control what's playing on my phone from the desktop app. I recently formated the laptop and reinstalled ubuntu and I can no longuer "connect" to my iphone.

I tried cleaning the spotify cache as explained in the linux troubleshooting guide, did not change a thing. Spotify can see the phone in the "Devices" sections and sync it over wifi, but no connect feature.

Any ideas of what is happening ? Do you know if there's a way to get back the spotify connect feature ?

Thanks for your time

Romain

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @catarticho and welcome to Spotify Community,

Can you try the latest non-stable version for Linux and let me know if the issue persists?

You can download it here.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @catarticho and welcome to Spotify Community,

Can you try the latest non-stable version for Linux and let me know if the issue persists?

You can download it here.

The non stable version solve the issue. Thanks a lot !

Edit: I'm having separate issues with the testing version. The integration with the sound menu is broken and I lost the indicator for spotify; see screenshot. Each time I try to interact with spotify through the sound menu, it open a new spotify window.

spotify bug.png

Hey @catarticho,

I see this kind of issue for a very first time.

Can you try restarting the x server and see if this fixes the issue?

Restarting the X server doesn't help.

I'm using the pantheon desktop environement from the folks of Elementary (https://elementary.io/) and it uses a different pannel as Unity. It could explains the missing indicator (I think I saw during the installation that it installed icons in /usr/share/spotify while it used to be /opt/spotify with the previous version, might be a good startin point to investigate). The sound indicator is the same as Unity (indicator-sound package) so it should work the same.

I don't really have time right now but I'll probably do a little more digging tommorow.

I've got same problem: Spotify Connect no longer working since last update (both on Android and Desktop)! Help please! 

I'm having all the same issues: Spotify Connect didn't work; the new build fixed it (yay!), but broke the notifier; restarting x server did not resolve it. Also, I've noticed that I no longer have an independent Spotify applet in my panel, which used to have basic functions to hide, exit, etc the Spotify window, as well as playback functions. Now I just have Spotify buttons (rev/play/fwd) added to the system audio notifier.

I'm running a fairly vanilla install of Ubuntu with Unity, so I don't think it's just a quirk of Elementary's notification panel.

(And muchas gracias for all your work to develop and maintain a linux client for Spotify!)

I have the same problem, will the .deb package install a PPA to get updates for it?

The link worked ok, but when I change to play from the PC instead of the phone, I can't switch back to playing from the phone.
The phone icon is still present there on the device list, but I can't select it.

Suggested posts