Premium

Country

JP

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

My Question or Issue

In version 1.1.0.237 spotify crashes when trying to play local files.

The problem is similar to this post below, but problem is not solved there.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/Spotify-Crashes-Closes-when-try-to-play-local-files/t...

I record a log when it crashes using (as suggested above):

spotify >$HOME/spotify-dump.txt 2>&1

And this produce:

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/mito/snap/spotify/34/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini': File exists
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
[0225/165459.873153:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(615)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.106" (uid=1000 pid=6199 comm="/snap/spotify/34/usr/share/spotify/spotify ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="Get" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=1314 comm="/usr/lib/upower/upowerd ")
[0225/165459.873477:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(615)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.106" (uid=1000 pid=6199 comm="/snap/spotify/34/usr/share/spotify/spotify ") interface="org.freedesktop.UPower" member="GetDisplayDevice" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=1314 comm="/usr/lib/upower/upowerd ")
[0225/165459.873703:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(615)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.106" (uid=1000 pid=6199 comm="/snap/spotify/34/usr/share/spotify/spotify ") interface="org.freedesktop.UPower" member="EnumerateDevices" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=1314 comm="/usr/lib/upower/upowerd ")
[mp3 @ 0x7f8dc434c9e0] Skipping 0 bytes of junk at 57374.
[mjpeg @ 0x7f8dc5825260] Changeing bps to 8
[mp3 @ 0x7f8dc5824da0] Header missing

10 Replies

Same here. I am on Ubuntu 18.04.2

Same here, Ubuntu 18.04, latest snap version of Spotify. But different error than OP:

$ spotify
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/zwinny/snap/spotify/34/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini': File exists
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
[0305/140449.681322:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(615)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.364" (uid=1000 pid=25608 comm="/snap/spotify/34/usr/share/spotify/spotify " label="snap.spotify.spotify (enforce)") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="Get" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=2858 comm="/usr/lib/upower/upowerd " label="unconfined")
[0305/140449.681756:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(615)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.364" (uid=1000 pid=25608 comm="/snap/spotify/34/usr/share/spotify/spotify " label="snap.spotify.spotify (enforce)") interface="org.freedesktop.UPower" member="GetDisplayDevice" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=2858 comm="/usr/lib/upower/upowerd " label="unconfined")
[0305/140449.682377:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(615)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.364" (uid=1000 pid=25608 comm="/snap/spotify/34/usr/share/spotify/spotify " label="snap.spotify.spotify (enforce)") interface="org.freedesktop.UPower" member="EnumerateDevices" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.UPower" (uid=0 pid=2858 comm="/usr/lib/upower/upowerd " label="unconfined")
[mp3 @ 0x7f55c9b9dd00] Skipping 0 bytes of junk at 17794.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Tried the solution with installation of `libavcodec54 libavformat54` without a difference.

Is anyone using 1.1.0.237 not having this problem? Is this only on Ubuntu?

It's also happening to me on 1.1.0.237 using Fedora 29. Spotify was installed using the negativo17 repo, which if I'm not mistaken is repackaged from the Ubuntu packages.

There are no such packages in Ubuntu, but I installed "ffmpeg" and "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" and it didn't help. However I don't think it's the same problem.

If you're using the snap package, have you tried the solution from this thread? It looks like they were also having segfault issues on Ubuntu 18.04 with the snap:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/Desktop-Force-Close-When-Playing-Local-Files/td-p/467...

Replacing Snap package of Spotify with the deb one worked. Thanks for this.

FWIW, I installed Spotify on my Fedora 29 system using Flatpak (https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.spotify.Client) and this issue is not present in that build. Not sure if this suggests that there's something going on with the recent Ubuntu build.

Thanks! Replacing snap with deb fixed this for me 🙂

Suggested posts