Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Crashes When Opened

Spotify Crashes When Opened

Hi

I'm trying to launch Spotify on my Linux machine but it instantly crashes and logs me out of my machine. If I run it from the terminal, I see the following output briefly flash right before I'm signed out:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

I tried to Google the issue and found various sites suggesting that I install the modules or some variations of them. I must have installed 10 different versions of these canberra modules but Spotify is still crashing and logging me out every single time. I am using Ubuntu 17.10, Spotify version 1.0.70.399.g5ffabd56-26. I installed the Spotify app from the Ubuntu Software store.

4 Replies

Thanks for reporting.

That message is probably unrelated to the crash. It is because the snap bundles only the necessary modules to be able to run. I see it as well, but Spotify starts for me.

What do you mean signed out? Does a window open and then closes or does it only output that line to the terminal and nothing else?

Are you running a regular Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome desktop environment or is it something else?

Hi Jooon,

If I run it by clicking on the Spotify app (ie without a terminal), a few seconds go by and I'm logged out of my machine (completely logged out of Ubuntu and have to relog back in). Likewise, if I run it from the terminal, I see the Gtk module error and then I'm once again instantly logged out of my computer.

I'm running a newly installed Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome desktop; I used Spotify with Ubuntu 16.04 and had no issues but I removed the OS and reinstalled Ubuntu 17.10 (completely fresh install) just the other day. I don't think I could have installed anything that would break Spotify, I've really only installed about 10 programs on the computer, and I haven't done any special tweaks (like Compiz, dconf, etc) which would cause issues with applications.

Could be the same issue as https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/Spotify-causes-a-logout-when-clicking-play/td-p/40913... but it happens on startup and not on playback for you.

Spotify is certainly triggering this, but at the same time, it is also a bug somewhere else. Spotify shouldn't be able to log you out like this.

Does Spotify crash or log you out if you install the debian package instead?

https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

I had same issue, on my ubuntu 17.10 spotify crashed on startup. from ubuntu software and snap installs crashed, but with debian package it worked fine.

Suggested posts