Giannii
Casual Listener

Plan

Free

Operating System

Ubuntu 19.10 on Laptop and double display with HDMI cable

My Question or Issue

Hi,

I'm using Spotify on Ubuntu 19.10 and since I installed the software (some days ago) I noticed an annoying bug: the window of the program is freezed and so non-interactable, but music goes on and even keyboard insturctions (play/pause, go on, go back) works normally. I said that the window seems to be freezed because even automatic reshaping  does not work)

It happens very frequently and the only solution that I found is to close and reopen spotify (the close button 'X' works).

118 Replies

owlmachine
Visitor
Same problem with the snap on Xubuntu 20.04

uffek
Gig Goer

I have tested with six computers ... all Ubuntustudio 18.04 and 20.04 ...

spotify installed from ppa or snap does not make any difference.

HP  intel dual core sff desktops (2pcs) with 4Gb of ram ... both freeze

HP Elitebook with i7 and 4Gb ram ... freezes

Lenovo Y50-70 i5 and 8Gb ram seems to work ... tested 2 hours not 100% sure

HP Z400 workstation with 8 cores and 24Gb ram has been running many weeks without any signs of freezing as well as HP Z800 which was running ubuntustudio daily before 20.04 was published.

it seems to like over 4Gb ram to run smooth ... I still put a ? here.

hmollercl
Regular

I don't think it's a RAM issue, I have 16Gb RAM and spotify snap freezes but .deb does not.

It is strange that your deb installation freezes, I haven't seen that happening.

uffek
Gig Goer

For me the PPA version freezes more often than Snap. ... I still wonder why spotify has 3 process-ID;s while every other program has just one. Maybe the gui-refrehment goes to wrong process and disappears in bit heaven

uffek
Gig Goer

I'm testing with HP Z800 workstation .. 24G of ram and Ubuntustudio 20.04 daily ... Spotify from PPA has been running all day along other programs without freezing.

No extra packages installed (like gnome support) at all.

CyberKiller
Casual Listener

That doesn't really fix anything for people using numerous other distros. Like my openSUSE, or the mentioned Fedora.

I would prefer a native package instead of this snap-thingy if it would exist. Yet, despite rpm being the standard for GNU/Linux packages, Spotify only releases a deb.

note: openSUSE and Fedora use slightly different rpm's (they are totally different distros), but it is possible to make an rpm which would work universally

ravanscafi

Hey guys, I've found a workaround that has worked everytime so far.

When the UI freezes (but still shows up, not entirely blank as already happened sometimes), go to where is the song title of the current music being played (or other music, since it is frozen, it doesn't matter) and click and DRAG IT like you would do to add the song to a playlist. It will refresh the UI and everything will work again.

Magic, right?

uffek
Gig Goer

Hi

I just wonder how come there are 3 process id's for spotify when I play song and spotify is ok (not frozen)

Top_spotify.png

AliGarlanz
Music Fan
Not 100% sure I think it has something to do with your subscription and how it processes the streaming part whiles online as you use the internet to stream as for your other question disabling the ad blocker in the Spotify account settings would only really make a difference if you had a free subscription or a hacked premium subscription

uffek
Gig Goer
I have paid family premium.

AliGarlanz
Music Fan
Well I don’t know I have paid premium not a family one and I’ve done everything that I’ve said here and my Spotify problem has gone haven’t had any problems since If you system seems fine now a wouldn’t worry that it using 3 process IDs just enjoy Spotify working

AliGarlanz
Music Fan
  • Ad Blocker plus stops ads in things like Facebook and YouTube etc and Spotify uses Facebook to share and can be used to login to Spotify so having it enabled it probably cause problems but by disabling it sorts you Spotify out but allows ads to appear in Facebook and other things 

Fumax
Casual Listener

I m using POP OS(Ubuntu derivative). Same problem.

Mostly when I click Alt+Tab.

AliGarlanz
Music Fan

Hi I would suggest uninstalling the version of Spotify you are running and download and install an earlier version of Spotify and see if that helps&nbl

uffek
Gig Goer

It ain't easy to find an earlier .deb package which doesn't have dependency problems.

It's quite difficult to pass the verification to write here without eyeglasses.

AliGarlanz
Music Fan
Download Spotify Client 0.9.17 and install that see if that makes a difference let me know how that goes

AliGarlanz
Music Fan

1029BA9C-CABC-44F4-8FA5-9DCBE6C9532B.png

07EA367C-5829-4AD0-89BA-19B9C191ACC1.png

 Hi All I think if you go on pkgs.org and download Spotify Client 0.9.17 and install that that might solve the problem let me know how you all get on 

uffek
Gig Goer

dependency.png

It will not install .... it needs a Debian Jessie package libnspr4-0d_4.12-1+debu8u1_amd64.deb ... and I can not take any changes about breaking up my os right now so I can't test this.

AliGarlanz
Music Fan

Download it from www.pkgs.org

type it in your browser l

uffek
Gig Goer
I have the package spotify-client-0.9.17_0.9.17.8.gd06432d.31-1_amd64 from pkgs.org and tried to install it with gdebi but it has a dependency to debian jessie package. It will not install.

AliGarlanz
Music Fan

use terminal

type

sudo apt install curl

then type

curl -sS https://download.spotify.com/debian/pubkey.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

then type

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install spotify-client

SUGGESTED POSTS