Announcements

Spotify GUI freezes in Ubuntu 19.10

Highlighted

Re: Spotify GUI freezes in Ubuntu 19.10

Casual Listener

I'm a ZorinOS user, and I'm having the same issue. The interface gets partially blank, I can not click on anything, but the music still plays. 

Highlighted

Regular
I've found a workaround that works for me in Manjaro about 80% of the time, while it is a bit sinful for any Linux user:
If the screen hasn't turned white and unresponsive yet and is still just frozen, you should be able to do some basic stuff like pressing play or pause as long as you don't resize or minimize the window. To unfreeze the window, click on the advertise, that will open a tab in your browser and will refresh the Spotify client.

This makes me think the problem is triggered by an error on the advertising system. I guess a console log should be inspected to check that.
Highlighted

Casual Listener

Another user posted that they could unfreeze the UI by dragging the song title in the now playing. This works for me at about the same frequency (~80%).

I have Spotify Premium, so I can't confirm that it's ad related, but I think interacting with certain UI elements unfreezes it for some reason. Might work with other parts of the UI, maybe playlists or friends list? I'll have to experiment next time.

Highlighted

Casual Listener
spotify premium here, same problem. Dragging the title from "Now Playing"
section works, but it's just terrible UX for a "premium" poroduct
Highlighted

Casual Listener

I have this problem too, UI freezes but the client is still responsive to clicks and music keeps playing. Reinstalled and tried snap instead but the problem persists. The trick of dragging the song name works for me to unfreeze, thanks for the tip!

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I had the same issues on kubuntu 20.04. No matter what I tried with the snap build (e. g. disabling opengl) etc., I could not get it to work.

In the end, I removed the snap build and installed spotify from the repository http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify-client/spotify-client_1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15_....

Now the issue has disappeared. I suppose the snap ships libraries that don't work well together with the current graphic stack.  

Highlighted

Casual Listener
Thanks! I have done the same as you, removing the snap and installing the deb from that link, and it worked just fine!
Highlighted

Regular

I noticed that too, about the dragging drop trick... if you click anywhere inside the spotify window and move the mouse (like drag-drop) - even when the screen blanks - it just back to normal. Thats very weird, but its a reasonable workaround meanwhile..

Highlighted

Same here in  Ubuntu 20.04 as soon as it's running in the background it crashes.

Highlighted

Visitor
Same here on Ubuntu 18.04.
SUGGESTED POSTS